Help with page breaks and TOC

I am compiling to ePub 3 with an auto-generated table of contents. In my manuscript. I want certain files to start a new page. But when I use Section Breaks for this purpose, I end up with additional entries in the TOC, which I do not want.

The following image shows what I’m getting versus what I want. How can I cause certain files to start on a new page without generating a TOC entry?

Attached is my test file. Thank you.
Test.scriv.zip (130 KB)

Hi.

Does the project attached help?

Slàinte mhòr.

ToC.zip (259 KB)

Thank you JoRo. Very helpful. You introduced me to a setting that had escaped my attention, and it solved my TOC problem.

Do you know of any other solution that also removes the levels from the ePub navigation tree?

Hi.

Welcome.

Not that I know of.

My understanding – perhaps flawed – is that navigation points are generated automatically (by the e-reading device for the human reader’s convenience) for all page / section breaks, and I don’t know if there is a way for an ebook to override an e-reading device‘s default behaviour.

If no one replies here, perhaps tech support can help.

Slàinte mhòr.

The epub navigation tree is there to help the reader jump around in the text, and for this it basically uses all the points where there is a forced page break. All other page breaks are flowing freely depending on the font and line spacing chosen by the reader.
Why is it a problem?

I am not suggesting this is a “problem”. I would describe it as an “aesthetic preference”, and just would like to know if it’s possible. Here is some more detail.

One chapter of my manuscript contains quotations, about 50 of them. Per the attached diagram, one option is to use free-flow text with some kind of separator (in this example, “* * *”) between the quotes. My preferred option, however, is to have one quote per page (i.e., one quote per screen on the ebook reader - so, yes, the person reading the book would have to swipe 50 times to see all the quotes). But if I have one quote per screen, I do not want 50 additional entries in the TOC or in the ePub navigation menu.

So this is more of a “Is it possible?” type of question. Thanks again for your help on this.

Like you, I think it is important for a writer / publisher to have control over how a work is presented. I can see why e-readers create a navigation tree if the publisher fails to provide a ToC at all, but, IMO, it would be better if the navigation tree just honoured the publisher’s ToC design, irrespective of how detailed or spartan that design might be.

Two last points. First, that some readers (me included) use infinite scrolling rather than page turns, which may well impact on the aesthetic in any event. Second, that if you do find a solution to this, I’d be grateful if you would share it with us.

Good luck.

Slàinte mhòr.

I was wrong: the device doesn’t create the navigation tree from the layout of the book – the navigation tree is created during compile, and it can be edited using Calibre’s ebook-edit tool.

Users can delete unwanted navigation items and then just save and distribute the “clean” version of the ebook.

I have only tested this with the the Books app on macOS, but I assume that a clean file will retain its integrity on other reading devices.

Of course, it would be preferable to do this through Scrivener’s compiler alone, but I have yet to find a way to be able to do that.

Slàinte mhòr.

And a sample ebook attached:

Novel.epub.zip (65.1 KB)

Slàinte mhòr.

I see what is being done here, but not where to find it on my Compile settings. I am using Scriv 2. Is this only available on Scriv 3? Is there any other way to prevent section breaks for chapters (mine are text-after-text rather than folders of texts) from becoming double-spaced in the TOC? I would be more fine with it if it didn’t single space the Front and Back Matter. If only I could make the rules of both agree for the sake of the TOC…

Moran taing!