Help with supersript(?)

Hi all,

Some help please:

When writing in Scrivener, when I type 1st or 2nd - the “st” and “nd” appears as one would expect - raised and positioned correctly i.t.o. the “1” and “2”.

When I compile into Word, the formatting goes haywire - with the superscript displaying significantly smaller than the 12 font size of the standard text. This sees me having to manually select and adjust all their font sizes - tedious to say the least…

Any suggestions for why it might be happening - what to do about it? Not sure if it’s a Compile issue, or something happening in Word.

Any suggestions?

I believe this is a Word issue. Its autoformat tools “helpfully” reduce the font for superscripts because that’s what it thinks you want in a “typeset” document.

I don’t use Word much, though, so I’m not sure where the option to turn this behavior off is located.

Katherine

Thanks! Will dig around in Word.

This is an “AutoCorrect” feature in Word.

You can turn this “behavior” off in the Word Preferences -> AutoCorrect control panel. You’ll find a checkbox under the “Replace as You Type” section.

I don’t know if this will change the behavior in documents that were compiled from Scrivener or not. Give it a try and let us know what you find.

I don’t know if there’s a way to change how Word handles superscripts by default. But there is no reason to be altering the existing superscripts manually.

Us Word’s Advanced Find and replace - search for all superscripted text and replace it with text that isn’t superscripted, but is raised by a couple of points.

Then just replace all.

That’d look something like this:

Screen Shot 2015-05-11 at 1.48.52 PM.png

Appreciate all the replies. Very useful suggestions here, that I will try out the next time I compile.