Help - written text disappeared once pages were re-ordered

Hi everyone,

I’m hoping there’s some magical way to fix this that I’m not seeing…
I’m using Scrivener (Windows Beta) and over the past three days I’ve worked on a few scenes within the one chapter. After finishing tonight, I thought they’d work better in another order, so I moved them around in the left-hand menu.

And now all the text in them is gone. Everything except what I wrote tonight has DISAPPEARED. The section titles are still there, but the text in them is GONE.

Has anyone any fixes for this before I go crazy and cry?

Thanks!! :cry:

First thing, if you haven’t closed the project yet, navigate to the project’s .scriv folder in Windows Explorer, right-click on the folder, and choose “Send to / Compressed (zipped) file”.

Next, try typing a phrase or word from some of the missing text in the project search bar, just to make sure nothing comes up in the results. Assuming that’s unsuccessful, try doing the same with the Windows search tool to see if it comes up with any numbered RTF files. If it does, check the file path on those to make sure they’re in your Scrivener project (it’ll be in the format of have the name of “[YourProject].scriv\Files\Docs[SomeNumber].rtf”). It may be that something goofed in the project so the text files are present in the project folder, just not appearing properly in the editor. If that’s the case, we’ll probably just need to fix the .scrivx file so it’s indexing everything properly again.

The .scriv folder is backed up to Dropbox, thankfully, so I have access to the backup .rtf files. And I did what you suggested as soon as I saw your message, thanks MM.
(a) is there any way to restore the text to the Scrivener project as is? and (b) how can I stop this happening again?

Hi again - I searched phrases both within the project (which I haven’t closed) and within the compressed version. No text files are saved except today’s and those which I haven’t altered for a week or two - and when I click on the page for them, they turn blank.

Everything is saved on the version I downloaded from Dropbox - so is the best thing to close Scrivener and run it again with the Dropbox version?

Okay, sorry, finished editing the above, but I wanted to post that in case there was a shot of you getting it before you closed the project. Point of it was that your text, in plain-text form, is stored in the index file in your project, which gets redone on open/close, so if you didn’t have another backup, that would be a chance of salvaging your text. It sounds like we probably won’t need it, since you have a full backup, which will be a much neater method of restoring the lost text. To be clear, you’ve just saved a backup of the project to Dropbox; you’re not working with the file directly on Dropbox?

Truthfully, I have no idea what just happened to your project–obviously just dragging and dropping some files around in the binder shouldn’t clear any text! If you want to send the zip you just made to support AT literatureandlatte DOT com, I’ll take a poke through the package to see just what’s in there and whether anything obviously indicates the problem, though I don’t necessarily expect it will (bugs do so hate to be obvious in their origins). It sounds like the document files are really missing, though, so there won’t be a good option for restoring them directly from there.

There are a few options for restoring from the backup; depending what all you did today vs. what’s missing, you might want to just extract a copy of the project from your backup and make it the new master, dragging over the new files from today’s session (which will bring along everything but their label and status and internal Scrivener links). Or you might want to go the other direction, bringing over the backup files into the current project. If there aren’t a lot of files, and you do still have the empty placeholder documents in the current project where these should be, complete with meta-data, you could also go the copy/paste route, but that will probably get tedious if there are a lot of files.

In your spare time, here are a slew of questions, answers to which might help figure out happened:

1.) What version of Scrivener are you using (check via Help > About Scrivener)?

2.) What is your operating system (e.g. French Windows 7 pro 32bit)?

3.) Is your Windows user account standard or administrator?

4.) Was Scrivener installed as a standard or admin user?

5.) Where are you saving your Scrivener project file? (e.g. to your Documents folder, to a thumb drive, etc.)–meaning, where is it stored on disk while you’re working on it, not where are you storing backups.

1. Do you have any backup or sync services running while working in Scrivener?

7.) Anything else you can possibly think of that might be relevant, e.g. exact steps of what you were doing when the problem happened or any weird behavior earlier in the session, etc.

Thanks for your help - I’ve copied +pasted everything to separate text files as another backup and I’ll work on getting the Scrivener version set up again tomorrow.

To answer your questions:-

1.) What version of Scrivener are you using (check via Help > About Scrivener)?

Version 0.0.35

2.) What is your operating system (e.g. French Windows 7 pro 32bit)?

UK Windows 7 home 32bit

3.) Is your Windows user account standard or administrator?
4.) Was Scrivener installed as a standard or admin user?

Admin for both.

5.) Where are you saving your Scrivener project file? (e.g. to your Documents folder, to a thumb drive, etc.)–meaning, where is it stored on disk while you’re working on it, not where are you storing backups.

in my documents folder.

1. Do you have any backup or sync services running while working in Scrivener?
    Dropbox would be the only one, but it wasn’t running while I was writing tonight - it had just backed up to yesterday’s work.

7.) Anything else you can possibly think of that might be relevant, e.g. exact steps of what you were doing when the problem happened or any weird behavior earlier in the session, etc.
I didn’t notice anything weird - like I said, I only noticed when I move pages around. They went blank and the icon changed to the ‘blank’ version.

Hope that’s helpful!

Great, thanks. On point 6, just to be clear–is your actual live project saved in your Dropbox folder (but it wasn’t syncing at the time) or do you just choose Dropbox as the location when you backup the project?

Sorry, it’s late at night where I am - the latter.

No problem! Thanks for going through all the questions. I just wanted to make sure I was understanding correctly.

Again, so sorry about the loss! I’m relieved you’ve got the backup, and I hope it won’t be too much work restoring. If you do have a chance and are willing, I’d still like to take a peek at the zip file you made of the corrupt project, in case it sheds any light on the issue.

Sure - just sent it through now.

Thanks. One other mention–the current beta is version 049, so you might want to upgrade to that as well. You can download from here and install over 035.

I also have been having problems with disappering text.
I have been using version 039 I believe without any problems with loosing text. I upgraded to the NaNoWriMo version (o45 I believe) and within a day I started loosing text. :frowning:

At first I gave it no thought as it was only a few words in the document, but then I noticed a previous document had no text in it (the icon in the Binder was also blank). This followed an error message saying there was a problem with the .rtf file, I think I was closing the project at the time. I had taken a backup of the project prior to this episode, so I found the docs folder in the back and found the problem document. I then looked in the project folder (not the backup) and found this document still present. I opened it with Word and the text was still there, so I saved it from within Word (which was OK) and then opened the project in Scrivener. The lost text has magicaally reappeared, and has been OK since then.

However, this morning I created a new text document and started typeing into it. After selecting another document to check on something, when I returned to my typing, the text had again disappeared. However, I could not even see an rtf file in the projects docs folder.

I am using Windows 7 Starter edition (UK version). Scrivener version .045 as mentioned. I had no problems over a period of about 3 weeks with version .039 (sorry I had a problem importing files with images in them, but not with loosing text). My own analysis of the problem is that IF Scrivener thinks there is a problem then it flags it’s database or internal records that the text has been lost, but if the file had been saved beforehand then the text itself may still be OK.

Peter

I had taken a backup