Hemingwrite

:frowning: Okay. Didn’t knew that. Even my old plastic Alphasmart can do more, then. (8 Files. And copy&paste.)

Cool trivia: the AlphaSmart (NEO anyway) can store far more than eight files. The eight hotkeys along the top are just convenience buttons for loading your current working files rapidly. When you are done with a file, you can save it to a named file and then close it from the active buffer. Late you can load it back into the numbered buffer for easy access and editing. I’ve only rarely needed that capacity however, since eight files is generally more than enough for how I use it.

In addition to that, using the classroom management software you can pin reference material to each numbered buffer, that can be easily hot-swapped with a shortcut while writing. You can, for example, load an original version of the scene into the read-only reference buffer, and refer to it while doing the rewrite in the editable buffer.

Editing on the NEO isn’t too shabby. Yes, the small line limit does really impede large-scale editing, but basic editing features are strong. It’s a decent word processor with a full keyboard shortcut payload. It even has a built-in ToC system for navigating longer documents.

If the Hemingwrite cannot even copy and paste, they must be coding their word processor from the absolute ground floor. Best of luck to them with that, but hopefully that is just a placeholder. I wonder why they don’t just put together a minimal Linux distro for it and have it boot to JOE or something? (Or Vim, in a perfect universe.)

think they want the experience to be as close to a typewriter as possible…without paper.

If we do reach that perfect universe, then I shan’t be messing around with false typewriters as I shall be too busy writing in Scrivener’s complete native vim emulation.

But you’re teasing us aren’t you? Surely this year Vim support is in the Scrivener Christmas Day release as a present, because we’ll all been good.

Hi, I am first and foremost a writer (4 books published in Italy) and I opened a separate post for the list of what should be the dream machine because I think we can do better. Here the post: https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/a-digital-tipewriter-only-for-scrivener/28865/1

Yeah, that’s an even perfecter universe. :neutral_face: There was once a text engine plug-in you could install on the Mac that would give you limited vi compatibility within any text buffer (even search fields in browsers, it just hooked directly into NSText). It won’t work on a modern Mac, however; since it relied upon input managers, it broke with Snow Leopard’s release.

Those were the days, however! Hmm, one for 10.10 Extensions?

I’m not a programmer so most of this conversation is going way over my head…

it would be interesting though if the people at Hemingwrite, and the people at Lit’n’latte (which may very well be some of the really smart people on this forum) got together and cooked up a product that was the brain child of Scrivener and Hemingwrite.

I think what’s lacking with the Hemingwrite is good software. And what’s lacking with Scrivener is, well, not much, I just wish I could use it with an e-ink screen, a mechanical keyboard, devoid of other unrelated computer components…

this is after all wish-list conversation…

If you buy yourself a mechanical keyboard and turn off wifi, you’d be two-thirds of the way there…

:smiley:

Jim

Was that QuickCursor? A bad day when that became obsolete, I used it all the time.

I’m not a programmer (or not nearly enough of one to undertake such a job), but what a fine addition to the Universal Joy stocks it would be if somebody could write that extension…

+1

That was a sad day, too. But no this was an older utility, back from the 10.3–5 days. QuickCursor was in fact a reaction to the loss of Input Managers in 10.6. Prior to that point, applications (such as MacVim) could inject “Edit in MacVim” menu commands into all other text editing programs’ Edit menus—you probably remember those. Or you could do stuff like the Vi Input Manager did, and override how the Mac works. When you had it installed, the entire Mac’s text editing interface would morph into vi’s bimodal command/input method. You weren’t, as in QuickCursor, opening a form field remotely in MacVim, you were using core vi to edit in the form field itself. You could type Esc,dd in a Spotlight search field and it would erase it. It was beautiful. :slight_smile:

I’m sure that if 10.10 opens new routes toward making text editors cooperate again, someone will find a way. Maybe not to Vimify the Mac, that was a bit of an anomaly, but at least give us QuickCursor-esque capability.

Yup, I still have no clue as to what anybody is saying… :laughing:

but if anyone knows where I could get an e-ink monitor to attach to my computer, that would be a godsend. or a way to convert my e-ink kindle into a secondary monitor…

Sounds better than QuickCursor.

In fact a while ago I adapted a KeyboardMaestro macro to do the same sort of thing at QC, but in the end I stopped using it because you have to come out of Scrivener and so you lose a lot of the latter’s functions. If I had to edit a huge amount of text it’s worth doing though – editing in vim is so much easier than in any other application.