Hi there... Automation?

Hi

I am currently trying out Scrivener. Great stuff, great stuff.

Have a question though, about automation. I am reformatting a document and all the headers are in bold (no other text is). What I currently am doing is select the header, right click and select “Split with selection as title”.

This is getting really tedious as this is a huge document. Would any of you be able to point me in a direction where I could learn to automate this process? If this would be possible with applescript that would be swell, as I do want to learn that.

Thanks,
Ben

It would be great if Scrivener could recognize whole paragraphs in bold (a bit like the “Select range/all” command in Nisus Writer), and then let you apply the Split > with Selection as Title command to each paragraph with a single command.

In the meantime, you can serach the forum for the discussion on MultiMarkdown, that might suggest you and alternative suggestion for structuring documents to be exchanged.

Paolo

You’ll be able to search by formatting in 2.0, which would indeed make this process much faster as, like Paolo says, you would then just be able to search for bold text, it would get selected, then you just hit shift-cmd-K. But that’s off in the future… And unfortunately I don’t have a really good suggestion for automating this process right now, sorry.

All the best,
Keith

Do you have an extra hard return by the bold lines, or something comparable that you can search for instead of formatting?

Just trying to think of anything that could help.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Shift-cmd-K did nothing. Is that supposed to be the shortcut for “split with selection as title”?

Multimarkdown has tickled my fancy and I am now starting to think it might be a better solution to section the file(s) in something else than scrivener and then import as multimarkdown. Being as the original files are html it might be easier to just search for the tags. How did I not think of that before? :blush:

A quick test importing multimarkdown tells me paragraphs get split into separate sections. Fantastic, just what I was looking for.

Now to do some serious search-and-replace :slight_smile:

Thanks for the friendlyness, people. Seems like a great community you have going here.

Oops, sorry, opt-cmd-K is Split with Selection as Title (from the Documents menu).

All the best,
Keith