hidden binder pops up only on primary of dual displays

On a single-monitor system or on the primary display of a dual monitor system, hiding the binder (View>Layout>Hide Binder) works properly: it hides the binder, but it brings a popover panel from the left if you push the mouse to the far edge of the screen, much as how the Dock in Finder pops up from the bottom of the screen if you push the mouse to the bottom. This seems to be normal, expected behavior.

On a dual-monitor system, if you run Scrivener full-screen on the secondary display and hide the binder, that popover appears on the primary display rather than the secondary. That is unexpected behavior: Scrivener appears on one monitor and its popover on the other.

This behavior always occurs and is infinitely repeatable.

Steps:
[list=]
[] Attach a second monitor to the system.[/]
[] Run Scrivener. Open to full screen on the second monitor.[/]
[] Go to View > Layout > Hide Binder[/]
[] Mouse to left side of window. Binder appears on primary (wrong) monitor[/]
[/list]

Yes, this is unfortunately expected behaviour. The problem is: the panel doesn’t materialise out of nowhere, it actually exists off-screen, and when you move your mouse to the side of the screen, the software animates sliding this panel into view. Thus, if you have things set up so that there is a display to the left of the Binder, if we continued attaching it to the side of the project window, it would actually just slide off into the other screen when “hiding” itself! :slight_smile: So you’d have this thing sliding back and forth between screens. Never mind of course how difficult it would be to trigger a slide-out if the mouse had nothing to “bump into” along the middle.

I’m not around a secondary display to test this, so it may be Apple has refined this with the new Spaces stuff for multiple displays, that they added in 10.8, but I believe the Dock has the same limitations. Instead of positioning it on the bottom, try Left or Right with your dual-monitor set-up. I think you’ll find Apple never puts the Dock in the middle between two screens, but rather always on the far left or right of the entire setup, so as to avoid the problem of sliding an object out of view and into the other view.