Hiding or Locking projects

Hi.

As I like to keep some projects sort of private until they reach a certain ‘maturity’ I asked Keith for a way to hide them in Scrivener iOS.

Keith feels that hiding/unhiding projects might be confusing for some users - he might have a point… Perhaps locking projects might be a better approach? Keeps people from prying, and writers from accidentally editing finished projects…

Any better suggestions?

Thanks!
David.

This of course would only work with finished projects, but if they are finished you could move them out of Scrivener’s linked Dropbox folder. If it’s a project that you’ll want to refer to for future projects you could perhaps compile the finished version as a PDF, etc, and import to the new project’s Research folder.

Locking wouldn’t make sense in Scrivener I don’t think. Locking a file makes sense to me, but to “lock a project” you would either need to not actually lock it, or make it very annoying to use. Consider that browsing files is editing a project—you are changing the recents list. Scrolling a text editor is editing a project by storing that scroll position. Zooming the text size, changing binder view settings, all edits. If you don’t save that stuff back into the project then it would feel very broken to browse through it, with settings snapping off the moment you change views and so forth.

As for better suggestions, I agree with Kinsey here. Scrivener (on all platforms) is in part designed around the concept of giving you control over your project management, outside of the software itself—the notion that one should not need special features programmed to do basic things like archiving old stuff they aren’t working on any more.

Most importantly however, you should not be storing your sole copy of a project on a mobile device in the first place. Back that thing up! No amount of locking is going to protect your project from a swimming pool.

1. Tap Edit in the project screen.
  2. Select the project you wish to archive.
  3. Tap the Share icon in the toolbar.
  4. File the Zip file somewhere.

Now you can either delete the old project or keep it around for reference, with no fear of accidentally mauling it since you have a static copy. Naturally you should put that somewhere safe and off the device if you can.

You can also move them in or out of the Apps/Scrivener folder (or wherever you sync) on Dropbox using the iOS app.

https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/password-security/33936/12

Dear Spooky David,

At risk of stating the obvious, your device itself is a vault.

-gr

Gr,

I know, but sometimes the wife or kids like to play a game on my iPad.

I just need a simple way to ‘protect’ some work on progress projects from curious eyes. They can read them when the time is right :slight_smile:

David.

That’s what I do. Thanks :slight_smile:
I just would like a way to prevent the kids from snooping :slight_smile:

1. The kid needs a mini. Happy birthday, child! :stuck_out_tongue:

2. And as your marriage counselor :wink:, I would say you should trust your wife to respect your privacy. And if that does not actually work :unamused:, somebody needs a lesson in the ethics of cohabitation!

gr

Haha. Thanks for the valuable advice. :wink:
But - the kid hàs a mini. But when de battery dies, mine’s getting more interesting.
Oh, and I trust my wife. She doesn’t even check my phone or my mails :wink: … but… she like to read :wink: