Hierarchy and Collections

My project Binder is kind of haphazard with respect to hierarchy since I didn’t know where my story was going or how it was getting there. In putting my book together, I used collections to reorder the scenes. Although this works well for that purpose, I would like more control over the compilation process, control that it looks like only comes from hierarchy.

The problem is, that I can’t seem to change the hierarchy of a scene in a collection independent of the hierarchy of the scene in the Binder. For example, if the Binder looks like this:

Scene 1
Scene 2
Scene 3
Scene 4

Where all the Scenes are text files, and I include them in a collection, I can’t change to this hierarchy:

Scene 1
Scene 2
Scene 3
Scene 4

without changing it in the Binder. I want the hierarchy change to allow me to use compilation to change how titles and other information are inserted in the scene. I would like to be able to do this without changing the Binder because different versions of the story have different requirements.

Any suggestions?

Terry

I think I get what you are trying to do, if so, there really isn’t a way of doing this in the software—mainly because a system that allowed what you are going for would be get extremely complicated and messy very quick. We did in fact play with this kind of idea a long time ago—as a kind of a way to store the position information of items in sort of a draft snapshot feature. Conceptually it was a huge mess though—and in fact that line of thinking is what birthed the notion of Collections as a feature. We never thought that Collections could completely cover what people were asking for as a full draft snapshot, but they do make it possible to cover the most common practical desires that come from that. For example, I like the content of this chapter but the flow doesn’t feel right, so I’ll throw it into a Collection and play with it a bit, once I get the feeling of suspense right, I’ll drop the changed order back into the folder in the Binder and delete the Collection (or I could use freeform corkboard for all of that and dispense with the collection route).

The idea being, (a) one is working toward a desired narrative structure that will become how other people read the text, and (b) people more often want to fix an area of their draft—and if they really do want to throw out everything and rethink the entire narrative, well that is what File/Save As… is for as it gives you a new copy of the project to play with, leaving the original order safe.

It doesn’t cover every conceivable thing that every author may want to do, but nothing ever does. :slight_smile:

Pardon me if I’ve misunderstood what you’re going for, but there is no way to use Collections to store multiple alternate folders, if you will, that can be selectively chosen as Binder order when you compile, which is what it sounds like you’re asking for. You can of course choose an entire collection as your compile source, and it will be in the order you choose, but you can only choose one of them at a time, and since they are flat lists it wouldn’t really be possible to use them book-wide unless you don’t use hierarchy at all in Scrivener to begin with.

The idea of the Draft folder is that it contains the content of your work in the order it should be compiled. There are scattered exceptions, but like I say the only way to get a real “alternate universe” version of your Draft is to have a whole separate Draft which either means a copy of the project or a duplication of the draft folder within that project.