High-resolution Displays

Scrivener looks beautiful on my 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro. I’m considering the purchase of a Windows laptop for writing. I need a smaller computer for portability.

Will the Windows version of Scrivener display icons and text gracefully on a high-PPI screen like the one on the Toshiba Kirabook (13.3-inch 2560x1440)? Or will everything look tiny?

Scrivener fits in with most other software on Windows, which in turn follow the font size settings, which can be adjusted globally to compensate for higher resolution displays. It’s kind of like how Apple handles it on their high-resolution models, in effect, although the technology is completely different. That said I haven’t tried it on anything super high-resolution. My PC laptop has a pretty dense display, but it’s still considered on the high end of normal, rather than approaching print resolution.

I am just being curious Peter (see what I did? :smiley:): Why would you want to purchase a windows machine?

You’re right to be curious. :slight_smile:

Mac laptops are great but they don’t have dedicated PageUp, PageDown, Home, End, Delete buttons.

I know… I’m being silly.

Is the Mac version of Scrivener a lot better than the Windows version? This alone can tip the scale for me.

Thanks!

I am a repentant windows user (started with DOS), Peter & only switched to mac 2 years ago; I never looked back, even when I missed the del key! :slight_smile:

I’ve never used scrivener for windows, but judging from the frustration of the windows users that frequent these pages, yes, scivener for windows lags quite a bit behind.

Actually Mac keyboards do have these keys, Apple has just inexplicably decided to stop printing the function modified versions of the key, making it impossible for the average person to discover them. They can, as they always have been, be access by holding down the Fn key. With that key, the following modified keystrokes are available:

Delete: forward delete.
Return: Enter
LeftArrow: Home
RightArrow: End
UpArrow: PgUp
DownArrow: PgDn

AHA, thank you for that AmberV :slight_smile:

(Completely off topic: would you by any chance know what replaces F4 for anchored references in excel on the mac??)

No clue on that! I only test using Office for the PC via virtual machines (which is my technological equivalent of a ten foot pole).

hahaha… thanks :slight_smile:

Curious, has anyone tried running Scrivener at 150% or 200% DPI scaling under Windows? :slight_smile:

The Surface Pro 2 looks quite attractive…

I’m using 125% scaling.

The default text size in the editor is a bit small, but I’ve just increased the zoom and it’s fine.

The menus and icons and such are all perfectly readable.

COMMAND + T
Check out: office.microsoft.com/en-ca/mac-e … 27337.aspx

(The fact that these shortcuts are different to the Windows ones is probably the single largest reason why I would struggle to switch to a Mac)

Unless you are really really really stubborn it will take less than a week of solid use per program to adjust. It’s just repetition. Working on both platforms is a bit more confusing. Since I work in full screen I often forget what OS I’m in, which results in “intense moments of inappropropriate language”.

That’s what the official reprimand called it anyway. My team called “the sound of Jaysen explaining the situation”. I think they meant it as a compliment.

I am with you. My wife’s Mac laptop drives me crazy with the omission of these basic keys. Instead, we are all expected to march behind the late Mr. Jobs and his “swipe” mania. Just my .02 cents. (Also, Macs are more expensive) :wink:
JohnN

Except that, as pointed out above, these keys do exist. :slight_smile:

I believe page up is control-up and page down is control-down.
Or it could be option-up and option-down. I’m not at the mac to check.

Swiping… its a new thing. If that’s all you’ve heard about it’s because the “ios” community is much larger than the OSX community (in terms of numbers). The drive toward “common interface” is killing the desk/lap top OS. Ex Windows 8…

I wish the Mac had pointing-sticks like those red eraser-heads on ThinkPads. I still prefer them over touchpads.

Thank you kind Sir, very helpful. :slight_smile:

Ahhh, Freudian appendages will always gather support… :smiling_imp:

The thing I hate about track/touch pads is the stupid trend to jumping the mouse to where you place your finger. the only time that is useful is when the finger is placed on the screen. The current mode results in me using language that is not fit for utterance. Now that I am seeing in on windows systems, I have lost all hope for the future of humanity.

Yes, it is that serious.

Per the ongoing back-and-forth about Windows versus Mac keyboard capabilities, do any Mac users use a third-party keyboard such as one made by Logitech with their Mac? Will Macs even permit the use of aesthetically impure input devices?

Many of the software packages I need to use professionally run only under Windows. I have recently been encountering quite a few fellow users of those Windows programs who run them in a virtualized environment on a Mac. (One such user jokes that Windows 7 runs more reliably on a Mac than it does in native mode.)

That for me raises the question of multi-button mice and full function keyboards. It appears that Macs can be coaxed into supporting, say, Logitech multi-button mice(?) But how about keyboards?

I use a program called Uberoptions (uberoptions.net/) to enable me to speedily perform useful operations simply by clicking one of my Logitech Revolution MX’s buttons or Wave Keyboard’s function keys. Will I really have to give all that up simply to satisfy Apple’s Aesthetics Police?

Cheers & thanks,
Riley
SFO