Highlight direct speech

So maybe the title is a bit misleading. But here is what I’d like to see:

For German authors there is a (very good) alternative to scrivener called Papyrus Autor. This program has a very interesting function I found very helpful in my dialogue heavy scenes.
With a simple click you can highlight direct speech (or rather grey-out everything that is not direct speech). With this I spotted quite a few transition problems in dialogues.

This is one of the few feature I really miss in scrivener (in addition to a missing relational database to store characters, items, locations etc.).

Here is a picture (with german text sorry) to demonstrate what I mean:

Hmm, I quite like this idea, and can see why it would be useful. I’ve added it to the list for consideration, as it may fit in with some other plans I have.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

Sounds great. Thanks for considering it.

If you’d like to support multiple languages, please take into consideration that direct speech may have a different syntax depending on which language is used.

For instance, direct speech in Spanish has the form:

m-dash(no space)(whatever you may type)(whatever punctuation to end the phrase)newline

It always starts with the m-dash as the first character of the line and ends with a newline character. IMHO, implementing this for Spanish in Scrivener would be easier than for English: just a single REGEXP would accommodate all cases. :smiley:

Direct speech in Spanish seldom uses the double quote syntax, and usually only used to refer to a character’s thought, not speech.

Just my 2 cents. Best regards,

Thanks, I’ve made a note of that. That form is sometimes used in English, too, although it’s not standard and is usually done for effect, I think. But, for instance, James Joyce’s Ulysses and Irvine Welsh’s Trainspotting uses it. If this gets implemented, it will certainly support multiple languages, using the system setting for smart quotes to determine dialogue, but I’ll look into adding an option for this form too.

I’d for one would be happy if you’d also consider it for screenplay text elements (dialogue without scene descriptions, action without dialogue and maybe even highlighting the dialogue elements of only one or two of the characters throughout the script)

cheers,
Mats

Sorry, that’s a little out of scope for what I have in mind. :frowning:

Really? This sounds like totally cumbersome to me? How would spanish do the following?

Some descriptive text here.
“The whole area seems to be clad in pure gold”, thought Sarah, while she walked through the hall.

Well, just like you put it. The double quote is used in Spanish for a character’s thoughts, usually within a paragraph of narrative.

However, if it was direct speech, it would look this this:

Some descriptive text here.
–The whole area seems to be clad in pure gold --said Sarah, while she walked through the hall.

(I used the double hyphen in the example to note that it’s an m-dash.)

Another vote for this Wish List request, as it sounds very useful for my sometimes too-chatty characters.