Highlighters

Version: 3.0.1.0 (1274647) 64-bit - 28 Apr 2021

If there’s a way to do this already, please let me know.

I make GREAT USE of the various highlighting colors to impart meaning (to myself) on various aspects of my WIP. Is it possible to

(A) Create button icons that I can add to the Main toolbar to more rapidly access these features (fine if they’re not there by default, if I could simply go into the Toolbar editor and add them, that would be great)

(B) Add keyboard shortcuts to invoke the Highlighters

(C) If nothing else, the ability to CLEAR highlighted text as a button / shortcut option

Thanks!!

JWhitten

All that (except shortcuts) is already on the toolbar.

[attachment=0]highlighters.png[/attachment]

Update: Oops, I went to all the trouble of doing that on Windows, but you’re Mac. Doesn’t matter. Same principle.

Yes, it’s pretty much identical on Windows, just right-click to bring up the expanded highlight tool.

Something else to consider is to use a character style for this. The style would be set to simple use normal formatting for the text, with both font checkboxes disabled. While you could apply the highlight colour as part of the style, an optional characteristic of styles is to add a visual-only highlight, which would be superior in most ways.

Some advantages to this approach:

• This highlight can be temporarily hidden with the View ▸ Text Editing ▸ Hide Markup menu toggle.
  • Styles have dedicated keyboard shortcuts that you can assign to them.

You can read more about styles generally, in the user manual PDF, Chapter 17. For this technique specifically, jump to §17.2.5, on pg. 362, Styles That Do Nothing.

No, I’m windows. I have it on my toolbar but have never used it that way. I just took a look and it works well enough that it’s a “WORKS FOR ME” solution, as far as I’m concerned. Thanks for pointing it out.

I like your suggestion too.; I use styles in my writing already, but it never occurred to me to use it for something like that. I don’t think it really “solves” the question/problem I was asking about, but it certainly does make an interesting observation that I’ll have to think about.

I don’t think it would work to address the highlighting situation because I might be highlighting a section that already has a style applied-- and your suggestion would override the underlying style, and not remove it auto-magically when I’m done.

But it’s still a very fine suggestion, in general though.

Thanks!