Highlighting Binder item when scrolling through multiple Binder items

The suggestion is as follows: When a group of Binder items is selected and highlighted in the Binder, that when one of the highlighted items in the Binder corresponds to what is being viewed in Scrivenings mode, the corresponding item in the Binder be highlighted (See left arrow in the image below).

The highlighting (left arrow) may be in the form of a different background color, but how the highlighting is done is not critical to the issue as any form of highlighting would help for my purposes:

I currently have over 600 items in my project Binder. When I select even a small group of Binder items based on a search criteria or collection, and I need to make adjustments to the text based on the search criteria or collection, I can easily ‘loose my place’ within the Binder. When I need to change or adjust common text phrases or LaTeX code that can appear hundreds, even thousands, of times throughout the project, it would be helpful to know where I am within the selected group of Binder items that I am working on.

The Titles for each Binder item of course appear within the Scrivenings screen, but each Scrivenings item can extend for dozens of pages. Highlighting the current Binder item would eliminate the need to scroll away from the current point where I may be editing the text to confirm exactly what Binder item I am editing, then needing to re-establish where I left off to resume editing the text.

This is particularly true if I am using the ‘Find and Replace’ feature within Scrivener which may completely skip over the Title for each Binder item, leaving me completely in the dark as to exactly where I may be within the selection of Binder items.

I’ve read the discussion on “Why doesn’t the Binder show what I’m editing?” in the Scrivener Knowledge Base.

I believe I understand the design feature that “The program has been designed in a ‘left to right’ fashion, which works much like many mail clients.”.

I also note, however, that the presence of a scroll bar button (right arrow) that indicates the relative position of the current Binder item (within the collection of items highlighted in the Binder) that is being viewed in Scrivenings mode.

So there currently exists some ‘back’ connection, in a ‘right to left’ fashion between the ‘rightScrivenings side and how it relates to what exists on the ‘leftBinder side.

It would appear, therefore that the ‘left to right’ construct can be augmented, at least to provide some relative indication of how the ‘rightScrivenings screen relates to items that are highlighted in the ‘leftBinder.

I am not suggesting that the ‘left to right’ construct be overridden or abandoned. My suggestion is that IF and WHEN a ‘rightScrivenings item happens to correspond to a highlighted ‘leftBinder item, that the corresponding Binder item be highlighted. If for whatever reason there exists no corresponding relationship between what appears on the ‘rightScrivenings screen as it relates to items in the ‘leftBinder, then no highlighting would occur.

I am also NOT suggesting any sort of control that would violate the ‘left to right’ construct to be overridden or compromised. The highlighting would operate much like the scroll bar button (right arrow) now operates; to highlight a Binder item if and when a ‘rightScrivenings item relates to a corresponding item in the ‘leftBinder collection of items.

Thanks for reading,
scrive
:thinking:

Hi scrive,

I realize this is slightly different from your request, but Scrivener (for Windows, at least) does follow the current Scrivenings document in the Binder with a highlight. This is controlled by setting File > Options > Appearance > Binder > Show current editor document indicator in the Binder.

See the screenshot for an example. The entire Draft folder is displayed in Scrivenings. The cursor is in binder item The Editor, which you can see is highlighted.

Unfortunately, this setting (at least in Windows) doesn’t work when a group of binder items is selected, as in your example. So I guess your request could be viewed as an enhancement to this already existing feature. :nerd_face:

I’m only raising this because you didn’t mention it in your otherwise detailed post, so wanted to make sure you were aware of it.

Best,
Jim

As a workaround, is it possible to multi-select in the Binder, create a collection out of that selection, and then navigate as normal through the collection until you’re done (then remove the collection?)

Hi Jim,

Thank you for pointing that out. You are correct in both instances. Normally, of course, the cursor does properly highlight the current Binder item I may be viewing in The Editor.

My suggestion has to do with selecting a group of Binder items, such as after having searched for a particular phrase, then applying the ‘Find and Replace’ feature within that selected group of Binder items.

I am often using the powerful ‘Find and Replace’ feature to adjust text or LaTeX code, often in a few hundred places scattered throughout dozens of Binder items at a time. The nature of the ‘Find and Replace’ feature, however, is such that the Title banner for the Binder items is often skipped over as I work to complete the ‘Find and Replace’.

If I were to do a ‘Replace All’ of course this would not be an issue.

When I am stepping through each ‘Find and Replace’ individually, however, the context of which Binder item I am current in can often affect my decision whether or not to make the replacement. Hence the need to know exactly where within my particular group of Binder items I may be when I have to decide whether to make the replacement.

More and more, I realize how unique it may be to use Scrivener’s power and flexibility as a front end for LaTeX and how that leads me in odd directions that others don’t go. I too often forget. Apologies.

Thank you again for pointing that out.
scrive

1 Like

Hi devinganger,

Thank you for your feedback.

Let me have a look and get back to you.

Thanks again,
scrive

Sorry if this was already suggested, but have you tried using the content navigation button in the editor header bar? Refer to Fig. 8.1 in the user manual, with the button marked as (c). This button is documented in subheading Content Navigation Button, pg. 120.

Basically that button always shows where you are in a Scrivenings session, as well as allowing you to easily jump between sections. The major advantage of this tool is that it is always there—regardless of what the binder is showing. If you arrived at this session through a link or history movement and the binder is in a completely different place, it doesn’t matter. I’d personally consider the binder to be one of the least useful tools for managing a session because it doesn’t really have anything to do with it, other than potentially being a place where the session starts.

1 Like

Hi AmberV,

Thank you for pointing me to the ‘Name of Document’ field on the navigation bar.

(Pardon me as I dutifully fall on my sword!)

Silly me for not noticing how the ‘Name of Document’ field displays the Title for the CURRENT Binder item. It may not be the solution I had imagined, but it works about as well as I could expect.

As an example, as I scrolled through my ‘Find and Replace’ list of Binder items, the following image of the Header Bar (labelled above as image) with the Title ‘A Cluster of Factors’ appeared in the Header Bar at the same time the section Titled ‘A Cluster of Factors’ appeared in the text editor. It Works!

Thank you for pointing out my omission. Apologies for the ‘bandwidth’ I may have consumed in posting my suggestion.

Thanks again for your feedback,
scrive

1 Like

Hi devinganger,

Issue solved (see above) … thank you for your feedback!

scrive

1 Like