Hmmm...

http://www.oak-tree.us/blog/index.php/2009/03/04/perfect-tool

Interesting, most of their complaints regarding Scrivener are directed at Scrivener’s lack of feature support… for features it supports.

Update: All right, I posted my rebuttal at the bottom of the article. :slight_smile:

Remind me never to post an evaluation of anything anyplace AmberV can read it.

Part of the theoretical attraction of this may come from its cross-platform potential. It’s interesting that despite KB’s best efforts on the Links page, few can find anything sufficiently like Scrivener on Windows.

However… not only do the words “sincerest form of”, “imitation” and “flattery” come to mind, but also the phrases “intellectual property” and “more than two years’ work”… You’d think it would be simpler, easier and quite possibly cheaper to buy a second-hand Mac and a licence from Keith.

H

Not to mention
• virus free
• stable
• easier to use in general

But hey, who are we to criticize folks making bad decisions?

Note to self: Never argue with Amber. :slight_smile:

I will ignore Sean’s excellent advice, and argue with Amber. Well, argue is not precise. What I will do is disagree, and because the focus is a pro forma convention, we may not even disagree.

It is this. Amber’s response to the article begins, “Well written article…” I did not think it well-written. It was variously graceless, ungrammatical, rhetorically inept, and dull.

That was the first paragraph. I read on, hoping for better prose. None appeared. After four paragraphs, I did what I usually do with prose which is dull, graceless, etc. I stopped reading it.

Consequently, I do not know what conclusions the writer came to. I do not care what conclusions he came to, because he did not persuade me that his conclusions would be of any interest or value to me.

Phil

(Mild-mannered grandfather whose secret identity as a surly curmudgeon is rapidly becoming his public image.)

We basically agree. I was mostly just trying to be nice before engaging in a twenty-point assault. :slight_smile:

s/point/caliber/

Great comment! Made me longing for knowing more about the combination of Scrivener and LyX. Is this something you would recommend to a »normal« user as well (with normal I mean someone who has no programming experience – much less programming skills – other than writing macros for WordPerfect, Word or Framemaker (with the help of OneClick))? And if yes: can you recommend an instruction, a tutorial or other how-tos? And before you ask: yes, I had a look at the MMD website, but what I found there was way too technical and over my head…

TIA for any advise!

C. Aichner

Hmm. It’s really hard to recommend something like that to anyone, “normal” user or not. I’d say that if you got along with something like WordPerfect than you’d probably have a better chance of understanding it, as all LaTeX and MMD really are is “Reveal Codes”, except turned on all of the time. :slight_smile: On the other hand, if the MMD site felt a bit overwhelming, then LaTeX is probably going to be annoying to work with. Yes, LyX allows you to ignore LaTeX for the most part, but I’m really not sure how effectively, once you get past the basic default settings. I came into the application with a working knowledge of LaTeX, so for me a lot of the document settings and stuff are obviously just one step removed from straight plain-text .tex file editing. Whether or not that is true for someone that knows next to nothing about it is difficult for me to say. Again, all the stuff is free, you might as well play. LaTeX is very well known in certain circles and there are tutorials all over the 'net and good books on it. LyX comes with an extensive interactive tutorial and a very comprehensive set of user guides.

He does actually say quite a lot of nice things about Scrivener. His main point is that it doesn’t exactly fit his workflow - but then no app exactly fits anyone’s. And I suspect he’s quite determined to crowbar LaTeX in: just a wild guess but if collaboration is so important that he wants to hack LaTeX dramatically, then he’s going to have to extract MS Word from a lot of cold, dead hands, break the corpses’ knuckles, and jam a hacked version of LaTeX in them instead to make the whole thing worth doing. Word just is the de facto standard.

At the risk of a lynching, I do actually agree that the rich text editor bit of Scrivener is its less strong point, because it’s reliant on Apple’s text engine, and since Apple now wants to push Pages*, it’s not going to get much better. But it’s good enough.

Has anyone suggested Mellel to this chap, btw?

*Am I the only one to notice Pages’ ballooning file sizes? Half a meg for a text document isn’t uncommon. I’ve returned to Nisus Express.