Horror Stories of Files Being Lost

I’ve searched through the forum to see if I could find a solution. I see quite a few people have had files missing when Scrivener updates.

I have 3 to 4 novels in various stages saved and I tried to open one today and none of my files are there. First time, I thought no big deal, I’ve got my backup and now it’s empty too.

I’m afraid of attempting to open any more of my files.

Has anyone found a fix for this that maybe I missed?

Too little information to pin down the exact issue/cause or suggest a specific fix or answer. Such issues are more likely related to the computer environment Scrivener is running in, rather than Scrivener itself.

Would suggest you directly e-mail Literature & Latte’s tech support, with as much detail as possible (project location, backup locations, cloud sync services being used, etc.), as discussed here
literatureandlatte.com/support.php#section-email

For background info that is likely related, see the following
scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb … -organised
scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb … c-services
scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb … e-advisory
scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb … e-advisory

You might also check out the backup/recovery material in the manual and books/ebooks such as Scrivener for Dummies.

Scrivener classes are also available online on the Internet and likely cover some of this.

Hope this is of some assistance.

Are you using Dropbox or any other kind of cloud synchronization? If so, there are some pitfalls to be aware of: https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/seeing-dropbox-right/12597/1

I did use Dropbox but nothing there. I also specifically bought an external drive and the files there are either gone or corrupted or the file contains part of the user manual.

I was able to recover one of my manuscript files but not the 50K word one I did with NaNoWriMo 2015.

I accepted that the backup file would be made when the software was updated.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I saved the files just like you would in any other word file.

Vicki from Literature and Latte is working with me to see if we can still recover the other files.