HOW ABOUT A WINDOWS VERSION!

Seriously. I’d pay money for it if it’s as good as it looks. So how about a Winny?

Ah, the true sign of an app’s success: “port it to windows!” :wink:

See
[url]https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/pc-version/817/1]
and
[url]https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/gnustep-version/656/1]
for Keith’s “I am not a coder, I am a free man!” explanation.

Thanks for replying, edf. :slight_smile: Yes, I have had a few enquiries about Windows versions recently (AmberV, if you are reading, it might be worth adding this to the FAQ if it’s not in there already).

Unfortunately, there is unlikely to be a Windows version. This is not because I have anything against PCs, I hasten to add, but just because it is not a trivial job to port a Mac program to the PC. To do it properly, it would pretty much mean writing the whole thing again in a different programming language! Most software packages that are available for both platforms have whole teams of programmers, where with Scrivener, there is just me. :frowning:

Thanks for your interest, though. For similar programs on Windows I thoroughly recommend both PageFour and Rough Draft.

All the best,
Keith

Of course, you could get a Mac. One of the reviewers suggested that Keith get a commission for every Mac sold to a writer who wanted to access the delights of Scriv. :wink:

(Seriously, though, the new Intel Macs are pretty fab – those “Hi I’m a Mac” ads don’t lie. :smiley: )

I started writing up an answer the moment I saw the topic show up on the recent posts list. :slight_smile: In fact, I just finished writing it.

Preview:

In short, no, there are no plans to ever port Scrivener to the Windows platform. The reason for this is that it heavily relies upon programming tools that are only available on the Macintosh, and while there may be analogues for these tools in the Windows development environment, the methods to access them (and indeed pretty much everything else) would have to be rewritten in a different programming language.

For a list of recommended alternative writing programs for Windows users, please visit this page

What about a commission for all the writers who have discovered an excuse to buy a Mac with a slightly bigger screen? :slight_smile:

I went though the beta phase using a 12" iBook G4 - it is by no means impossible to work on (especially using full screen mode) - but I know Scrivener is going to be my primary tool from now on so I decided to make myself comfortable.

I’ve been really spoiling myself of late, with my main Scriv window on a monster Imac 24 and fullscreen on an external 17inch, which I place down and close beneath the 24. Heaven. This also worked well on my old 12inch PB with the 17’’ external above. I don’t see many people using over and under monitors but I love it - especially in Scriv.

E

Oh, I can see how the over and under screen would work very well in certain circumstances, particularly when keeping track of all the various index cards / ideas as you go.

I might experiment a bit before I find a good home for the ibook.

Unfortunately, AFAIK, the IBook only does video mirroring and can’t display a different image on the external screen, which limits you. Powerbooks allow full dual screens as do the new Macbooks.
One other thing I noticed lately is that Tiger now has an option to rotate the external screen, which allows you to work in portrait mode. Kinda nice for those of us who like to see a nice big full size page in the right proportions.

E

Actually! That is precisely my preferred orientation to work in. I have a Dell 24" that can be rotated on end, and OS X picks up on that and rotates the screen. Since I’d rather have several pages of text than 24" long lines of text, it works quite nice.

Did there not used to be a Mac that had a tall screen? Ages and ages ago?

The problem is that Apple doesn’t make a machine that suits everybody, and the MacOSX is not suitable for every task. For writing on the go, I prefer a sub-note book; Apple doesn’t have anything that small and light. New generations of machines are coming along that use Flash RAM in place of hard disks; batteries that last for ages, ridiculously fast access speeds and most important of all, they wake up instantly. Put that together with Microsoft OneNote, and you have a pretty nice setup for a writer’s notebook.

The PC could do with a few decent writing apps though; there are loads of them out there, but they’re all pretty dated (since they haven’t been overhauled for years). Should Scrivener be one of them? Well, I think part of the success of Scrivener is down to the fact that Keith is careful to focus his efforts. If he tried to build for two platforms, then I think we’d have to okay products, instead of one fantastic one, if that makes sense.

Most iBooks are capable of this and you can enable it easily:
rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html
Did it on three different iBooks without any problems.

But yes, nowadays I’m spoiled, too - 20" iMac + 15" external, it’s a perfect setup for Scrivener.

I hear that! I have a sharp actius MM20 (running Debian, for the curious) that I carry everywhere. Why not? It’s 2 pounds and the size of one of those marble-covered composition books!

There are some rumors of a mac ‘ultra portable’ now that they are not constrained by G4 heat/power issues, but who knows whether Apple will do anything with it. They’re pretty stubborn; their laptops still have a single-button trackpad for chrissake.

Typo,

I heard there was a hack some years ago when I considered getting an IBook. But at the time the process was complicated and potentially dangerous. Dual Screen is a dealbreaker for me and I ended up getting my trusty Powerbook instead.
Glad to see someone has provided a safer, easier way to counter Apple Marketing’s evil effort to support Powerbook sales.:laughing:

E

Apple made a grayscale Portrait Display, 640x870…I used one with a IIci IIRC. Great for writing. :slight_smile:

Not a bad choice either. :wink:

Dual Screen is something you wont’ want to miss - but only AFTER you’ve had the pleasure of using it yourself. :slight_smile:

Take a look at Writeway Pro and Liquid StoryBinder.

I think they’re about as close as you’re going to get … :smiley:

This is why I’m so sad the Newton died. :frowning:

The eMate was, while not really so much smaller than laptops, very light, and the thing was so darn TOUGH! You could drop it off a building and it’s still be in working order when you ran down and grabbed it. But alas, Newton is ancient history. I loved writing on it, though, even though the keyboard was so small.

If the only thing you need to do while on the move is writing, the Alphasmart Neo has lightness and durability in spades. And it runs for months on disposable batteries. They also have a wifi-enabled model that runs Palm OS (the Dana), although I’ve heard mixed things about their reliability, as opposed to the Neo, which is basically too simple for anything to go wrong with it.

I would recommend against the Dana if all you need to do is write. The Palm OS is overkill and too many things can go wrong with it. The WiFi is nice if you do a lot of Web based research, but browsing on a little LCD is obnoxious once the novelty wears off. Plus, you can get a Neo for half the price.