How can I batch-search archived snapshots?

I just ran a test in Scrivener 2, and found that when I search “everything,” that doesn’t include snapshots.

That’s preferable 99.9% of the time. But when I am searching for distinctive text or keywords in the old version that aren’t in the new version, and I don’t remember which document they were in, how can I find them? Sometimes I want to re-use unused text from Project A in Project B.

Interestingly, you can search and replace in Snapshots with the Project Replace feature, but you can’t just search. If this is intentional, I bet it is because the obscurity of the search results would often lead one to wonder why the document is in the match list, since none of the usual suspects contain the phrase (main text/notes/title/synopsis).

I can see uses for searching within the snapshot scope, though a nice way of allowing that would take a little thought, since as you point out, most often you wouldn’t want this behaviour. If Keith likes it, we might put it on the list for consideration.

Meanwhile, the easiest way I can think of is to go into the project bundle itself (locate it using Finder and from the right-click menu, choose “Show Package Contents”), and then drag a copy of the Snapshots folder out to the desktop. That will make Spotlight index it and you can then use that to find the phrase. That will turn up a numbered RTF file, but by reading the contents you should be able to figure out where that is in the binder. If you need help matching that number to a binder item, let me know.

Thank you, Amber. Now that I know that I CAN search Snapshotted content if I absolutely need to, using external search, I can happily commit to using Scrivener’s Snapshot backup feature with no qualms. Until now, I have tended to copy files and give them version numbers so I could search and compare them, but with the great new Snapshot Compare feature, I don’t need to.

BTW I don’t use Spotlight. It probably works for users who have a few dozen to a few hundred documents, but I have THOUSANDS. Spotlate is slooooow, and delivers results in categories instead of a single list I can quick-search by scanning and sorting by various columns, so I use File Buddy outside my Scrivener projects, and Scrivener’s excellent search inside them. Best of both worlds.

LOL My housemate would argue that it is a system for delivering Parmesan cheese… :wink:

What!!? :open_mouth:

Are you saying that if I search and replace a character’s name using Project Replace, it will go back into my snapshots and change it there too? Is there a way I can prevent this? I’m planning to do just that, but I had always assumed that my snapshots would preserve my documents in case the replacement went haywire, replacing parts of other words. Serves me right for naming a character “Ed”, I supposed.

Have you considered getting it right the first time?

:stuck_out_tongue:

Hmm, how old is your computer? I’m not a huge fan of how fuzzy Spotlight’s searching algorithms are, but speed is not something I’ve had a problem with. I have not only thousands, but perhaps approaching a quarter of a million documents in my user folder and searching is instantaneous in most cases. You might need to reset your Spotlight index if it is slow with thousands.

(a) This is a Mac thing at the moment. Windows doesn’t go into Snapshots yet, so unless you are running the replace on a Mac it’s nothing to worry about.

(b) It’s very much an optional feature that is off by default. In the Project Replace tool there are a half dozen optional areas of the project you can impact as well as the main text area. By default they are all enabled as they are sensible places to look and change. Project notes, synopses, titles, that sort of thing. Snapshots are just another option, but that is off by default. I’ve used it a few times… once when I had a proper noun consistently spelled wrong and when I found out what it was, I did a global fix as I have no desire to reinstate that error from a snapshot roll back. So, it has its uses, though typically one would want to keep Snapshots safely in stone.

And yes, always back up a project prior to using Project Replace. Things going haywire is not always easy to fix.

My Mac is my preferred platform. It’s very precious to me. My precioussss.

But of course it is. I’m sorry I doubted you (well, Keith most likely…) Thanks for the explanation!