How can I change the font?

I have created a large outline, 5 pages when compiled to PDF

Right now, this is only an outline, no content

While working on it, the Format Bar is greyed out and I cannot change formatting

When I go to Compile, even in the details view, I cannot find a way to change the font from default Courier. I can, however, see how to change the font for headers and footers

What am I missing?

Please, advise. Thank you.

The Format Bar only applies to text editing. If you are building an outline in Scrivener, you’re working with the outline itself, not a text editor, so setting fonts and such has no meaning. If you later wish to export that outline and turn it into text, then the Formatting compile option pane is what you are looking for. This is where you can not only say: print the title for all items in the binder, but here is what I want them to look like, too. Just click the “Title” checkbox on, and then modify the formatting in the area below.

You may also want to experiment with the “Enumerated Outline” compile format preset. It has a much more “complicated” setup in Formatting pane, but it shows how you can do indenting and even automatic hierarchical numbering.

Thank you, for your kind response.

What do you mean when you say, “experiment with … compile format preset” ?

I’m new to Scrivener and reticent to change default settings and later find no way to get back to defaults

Since my document did not fall under the aegis of any default template, I created a new project with the Blank template

Already having my outline outside of Scrivener, I created a large outline in Scrivener

Now I’m stuck, not knowing what to do next. I do have content to fill in many of the outline sections; but, I do not know how to proceed

I thought that I could print out the outline itself; but, the only preset that even looks like an outline is Enumerated Outline. That comes close; but, I want to tweak the output, font being one desired change, and I don’t know how to do that.

Actually, I’ve also opened another forum question regarding my desired outcome here:
https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/how-to-start-a-business-policy-manual/26089/1

This being my first Scrivener venture, I’m hoping to follow some best practices and your guidance is sincerely appreciated.

Thank you

When you make a change to compile settings, you’re essentially modifying a copy of the preset you started with, not the original. You actually can’t modify the built-in presets themselves, though you can save and update your own custom presets if you want.

Click the blue arrow in the compile dialogue, beside the preset name, to show all options. Now click on the Formatting pane. This is just your outline level-based formatting here. Enumerated Outline has a lot of levels, to achieve indentation, so you’d have to change the font for each level to do a global change. It’ll be a bit of work, but once you’re done with that, you can use the button toward the bottom to save your changes as a new custom preset.

Understandable. The “default” compile settings are packed into the “Original” preset (templates usually come with some specific settings beyond that however, but the Blank starter just acts like Original). That’s your bare bones starting ground. It is called as such because the output will resemble the “original” text in the editor. No added titles, no transforms, just a raw text dump, combining all outline entities into a single document. It’s the most basic way to use Scrivener, as a word processor up front, and a simple machine to glue it all together into one file on the back.

Everything else is just embellishing on that principle. Outlines achieve their look by just printing the title and omitting the text. Each “type” of icon in the Binder, folder file and file groups can have their own styles. As demonstrated in the Enumerated Outline preset, you can also set up styles per depth level of the outline.

It’s a powerful system with a lot of flexibility, but just remember in the end, you are gluing together everything in the Draft folder, and what each individual piece looks like will be controlled largely (and optionally) by the Formatting pane.

Well the easiest way is to just click on the outline section in the Binder. That will give you a text editor view that you can type or paste stuff into. You might want to run through the tutorial if you haven’t got that far yet.