How can I enter chapter and subheadings where I want them?

I am working on an lightly illustrated book. Each chapter will have an image above the headers. I’ve been looking at a couple tutorials but they seem rather confusing to me. Here is a snapshot of my work prntscr.com/93dak9 As you can see I have the folder named “Chapter One” and the file that I am using “The winter Fig Tree” It would be really nice if I could call the folder name and the file name right there, that way if I decide to change it in the future then it will reflect the change, plus format correctly when I compile it to word for the publisher. Is there any way to do that or am I a kitty cat meowing at the wrong bird?

Since Scrivener for Windows doesn’t currently support the <$title> tag, here’s what I would do:

1. Create an extra folder, immediately before each chapter folder, to contain the image. The image should be inserted as the folder text, so e.g. create the folder, disable whatever your current group view mode is by clicking the orange-highlighted button in the main toolbar, then insert the image into the editor.

1.5) If you’re compiling an ebook, name that folder (containing the image) the name of the chapter. This only matters for ebooks because this is the title that’s going to end up used in the automatically-generated table of contents. For everything else, you’re just going to ignore this title, so call it whatever you want.

1. Move each “Chapter” folder into the image folder preceding it, so that your binder structure looks like

Image Folder Chapter Folder Scene Text Scene Text Image Folder Chapter Folder Scene Text ...

1. Rename each “Chapter” folder the title of the chapter (even if you’re compiling to an ebook, which means you will have duplicate names in the binder–you could use an icon or label or such to help distinguish them if you want). Using your example, instead of calling the folder “Chapter One”, call it “The Winter Fig Tree”. You’ll add the chapter numbering in a later step.

2. In compile, set the Separators so that you get a page break before each image (starting the chapter), a single return between the image and the chapter title, and an empty line between the chapter title and the following text and between the scenes themselves. So, make the Text/Folder separator “Page Break”, the Folder/Folder separator “Single Return”, and the other two (Folder/Text and Text/Text) “Empty Line”.

3. In the compile Formatting pane, opt to override the formatting. (You don’t have to do that, but for my example I’m going to, because it makes it easy to reformat the titles and standardise everything.) Assuming you’ve got the “Standard Manuscript Format” compile preset right now, there’s already some formatting set up for the folder row to include the title and the “Chapter <$t>” prefix. It will apply to all folders at Level 1 (immediate child of the Draft folder, named “ARW” in your screenshot) and at all levels deeper (indicated by the + following the 1).

We don’t want the title and chapter prefix for the image folders but do want it for the chapter folders, so select the folder Level 1+ row and click the “+” button in the upper right to create a new folder Level 2+ row with identical settings. The first folder row will have changed to “Folder 1”, and you can select it to format the level 1 folders (your image folders) differently from those at level 2 and deeper (your chapter folders).

For the Level 1 folders, deselect everything in the table except the “Text” column, and click the “Section Layout…” button to delete the prefix text. Then click into the sample text in the preview area and format it to be centred and with no indentation. From the spacing drop-down, choose “More…” then set the line spacing to Single and enter a number for the After paragraph spacing–you may need to compile a few times to see what you like. On the right above the preview area’s format bar, you can set the “Page Padding”, i.e. how far down the page to begin. The Standard Manuscript Preset starts new chapters 14 lines down the page, but you may want to decrease that since you’re including an image above the text.

Once that’s set, click the Level 2+ folder row and format the title and prefix however you like. Do the same for the text Level 2+ row; that’s your scene text. (If you started from a different preset or the Original, you may only have a Level 1+ row for text; just format that.)

I think that’s it. When you compile, you’ll get your images starting the new chapter pages, with the “Chapter” prefix and title text immediately following. The chapter numbering is all done at compile time with the placeholder tag, so you don’t have to worry about rearranging the binder, and the title text is taken from the chapter folder title, so if you do rename that it only needs to be done in one place.

The exception for the renaming is that ebooks will use both the image folder’s title and the chapter folder title, the first for the table of contents, and the second for the chapter title within the book. So for those you would need to edit the title twice. That said, you still wouldn’t get the “Chapter <$t>” prefix appearing in the table of contents for ebooks, so you may end up wanting to tweak the compiled epub in an editor anyway, and you could just fix the names at that point without worrying about the Scrivener folders.

Since you mentioned compiling to a Word format for your publisher, you probably don’t need to worry about the ebook notes. :slight_smile:

worked like a charm! Thanks for replying and helping out. I am seriously loving how scrivener is working out for me!

I added the image within the text of the folder,after adding a new child like you instructed and it looks wonderful! I had already discovered how to do dynamic headings thanks to the mavelous people on the forum so it was super easy to add the folder and adjust it as I needed to. Plus I can rename the folder CH# image so I can see at a glance how many chapters I got. If I devide chapters up I’ll have to rename them but it’s a small price to pay for all Scrivener has done for me ^.^

Thank you so much.
Xade