How can I make arrow key navigation work differently?

First, I love Scrivener. Love it.

One thing that always gets me, though, and I’ve tried to adapt but I’m an old dog, and that’s the way Scrivener deals with ctrl-arrow key navigation (as well as deleting a word) on the Mac.

When you hit ctrl-back-arrow, Scrivener goes back to the beginning of each word, but when you hit ctrl-forward-arrow, Scrivener goes to the end of words. Here I’m used to MSWord which goes to the beginning of each word.

It’s such a small thing, but even after quite a few years using Scrivener, I just can’t seem to get used to it. Could there be some way for me to customize the ctrl-arrow behavior on MacOS? I wouldn’t be surprised if this was MacOS behavior that MSWord simply hijacks. But if at all possible I’d still love to customize this.

Thanks,
Rob Chansky

Unfortunately I don’t think that’s possible to change! As you note that’s a stock Mac behaviour, so if there was a way to change it, it would be something global to the system rather than to a specific program like Scrivener. I also don’t know of any alternate shortcuts that move the cursor to the beginning of the next word. While macOS does have some Emacs-friendly shortcuts (Ctrl-F), it doesn’t have all of them, and Meta-F, which I think is what would do this, is of course a shortcut to insert a special character: ƒ.

As for how Word works, they use their own text engine, it has very little (if anything) in common with how your average run of the mill macOS program works.

So, OPTION RIGHT RIGHT LEFT?

Slàinte mhòr.

Or ⌥→, → works as well. :slight_smile:

I do end up doing stuff like that though. I have ingrained my fingers at this point, but for example if want to select the whole line except for the first word, I have to do: ⇧(⌘←, ⌥→, ⌥→, ⌥←). I suppose ⇧+(⌘←, ⌥→, →) would be simpler, but the other is just habit.