How can I recover some lost some text and images?

I’ve just “lost” a good chunk of text – hundreds of words, linked images and captions.

Ctrl-Z doesn’t bring it back.

Is there a file I should open in order to be able to find a previous version, from before today’s edits, where a copy of the missing material will be found?

I’m using v.1.9.16 with Windows 7.

Any help or tips would be gratefully received!

Scrivener makes automatic backup copies of your work. If you go in under Tools > Options > Backup, you should see a button to “Open backup folder”. Make sure to copy the ZIP files out of the backup folder and open them elsewhere, like on your desktop. The backup process works on a rotating basis, with new backups replacing old ones, so anything in that folder is at risk of being overwritten - if you find a good copy, you don’t want to keep it in there.

Unzip and open up the most recent backup, and if you can’t find your work there, try the next one, and so on, until hopefully you find a viable copy of the project.

I’m pretty sure @ed1 is talking about a data loss within an editing session, for which there’d probably be nothing in the zip backups.

My understanding was that the work that was lost was not from today’s editing session:

Good point. You got me.

Thanks so much – that’s exactly what I needed to know!

Yes – exactly that – although the date stamps on the zips (the most recent is ten days old!) suggest I may have been negligent.

Inconvenience turned to dread and then resignation / mild self-recrimination and then joy as I realised that the apparently “missing” text, images and captions are in the binder!

My current set up is rather creaky and chaotic – hdds are almost completely full and it takes Scrivener seconds to respond to the first keystroke in each series of keystrokes, but I’ll fix it at some point, or move it to another machine, or um …

Anyway, the delayed response to keying means I managed to move off the folder in the binder and onto the second file in the folder – the “missing” content is still intact in the first file!

But thanks for the quick response to my desperate call for support – much appreciated!

I’ll just get back to the current chapter before I tidy up the hdds …

And you’ll also vow to set Scriv’s backup settings in a way that encourages you and will let Scriv do a zipped project backup regularly. I have mine set to backup on close, so it is just a matter of having a practice of closing any open projects at the end of each day.

1 Like

If storage is limited, keep projects on your internal drive and move other files to external drives. An external disk often gives you slower access, even if it’s a faster drive, because the internal drive has a closer connection to the CPU.

1 Like