How can I share a template I've created?

I’m looking for information on how to share a template I’ve created with a friend who also has Scrivener. How can I share a template through the internet? When I click “export template” it only give a file, not a zipped folder like I was expecting.

Hi,

A project template is a file with the extension .scrivtemplate. It consists of project settings and a default binder structure. Section 6.10 of the manual will give you additional info about the contents.

You should Export the template, then email the file or upload it to a cloud service to share with your friend.

Your friend should save your .scrivtemplate file somewhere on their hard drive. Then from the Scrivener new project window, your friend should select Options > Import Templates and navigate to and select the .scrivtemplate file. That will copy your file into their Scrivener templates folder, and at that point they can use it to create a new project…

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have more questions.
Jim

When I click export, the file has the extension of .scriv only

Hi brianawhite,

Sorry, based on the above I had assumed you’d already figured out how to export your template. :slight_smile:

My assumption is you’ve already created the template. Here’s what you should do to export it:

Open a Scrivener project, any project at all.

Select File > New Project. That displays the New Projects window. Navigate to and select your template.

Select Options > Export Selected Template. From there, you name your .scrivtemplate file and tell Scrivener where to save it.

Let me know if that doesn’t work for you.
Jim

Yes, totally worked! Now I’m having a different problem altogether. When I go to open a template I’ve created (the same one I just wanted to export) as a new project, it says “Incompatible with this version of Scrivener”. But I literally just made the template and have opened it as a new project just yesterday.

EDIT: Oh! I think it might have happened because I already had a project file with the same name that I was trying to use. Weird. Thanks for your help!