How can I synchronize the binder panel and the editing window?

I’m new to Scrivener, longtime Word user. I want Scrivener’s binder panel to reflect which page or folder in which the cursor is currently located in the editing window, much like Word’s “navigation” pane highlights the heading under which the cursor is currently located. I’d like it to do this automatically as I move around a project so that I can see at a glance where I have the editing window positioned.

How can I do this? It’s annoying to be forced to hit CTRL-SHIFT-8 when just a glance of the eye would do as I’m moving around searching for a particular passage.

This is something that will be coming with version 3 of the software, and you can already check it out in the public beta. The currently active item in the editor will be highlighted using a secondary indicator, in the binder.

That sounds great! I have been purposely avoiding the Beta so I can have the thrill of opening the whole enchilada at once (I also love Christmas), but a few ‘teases’ like this are making me crazy.

Thanks Amber! I found the download page, I love betas.

Also, while I’m at it, I’m planning to buy but would like to hold off until the trial is through. Ya done got me hooked, haha. 8) Is there a way to verify how many days are left on the trial?

It should let you know at least once per day when you start the software. So if you haven’t closed it in a while, that may be why you aren’t seeing the message.

It’s also worth noting that the upgrade to 3.0 will be a free one for you, so you can ease into the beta as you like without having to worry about paying a fee eventually to keep using it.