How can one automatically open all the projects have been opened the last time Scrivener was closed?

How can one automatically open all the projects which had been opened the last time Scrivener was closed? Clicking “Exit” in the “File” menu does not seem to do that.

And can Scrivener automatically open all the same projets after a new start with its same panels / windows positions and sizes (e.g. the Favorites window, etc.)? I always have to resize / reposition windows and panels all the time after each start.

And how else could one start more than one project, e.g. 10, with a single or two clicks altogether. Without having to do it with each single project manually?

As you noticed, Scrivener doesn’t provide that feature. However, you can now use the tool Keyboard Maestro to do exactly that for you. It’s been around for many years. Other tools probably exist that do it also.

Actually I would not say to have noticed it.

I think I once have read in this forum that “Exit” item should do it.

Thank you for that tool, it seems to be for Mac. I have Win.

Oops. Did not notice. Pity you don’t have the computer you need. :wink:

Be sure that you have Reopen projects that were open on quit selected in the General tab of Options. With that enabled, if you have multiple projects open when choosing File ▸ Exit, they will all reopen when Scrivener is next launched.

Floating panels like the project targets or bookmarks will need to be reopened manually and unfortunately do currently need to be repositioned; hopefully in the future these will be able to remember their position from one session to the next.

AutoHotKey is something like the Windows equivalent of Keyboard Maestro; you may be able to set up a macro through that to quickly reopen and reposition the dialogues. A number of other users on the forum have created various AHK scripts, so you may be able to find some useful posts or assistance searching for that.

Oops. Did not notice. Pity you don’t have the computer you need. :wink:

Yes yes, and the car and the house and the life…as well.

Be sure that you have Reopen projects that were open on quit selected in the General tab of Options.

This one?

Does not appear to work either. It already was activated.

AutoHotKey is something like the Windows equivalent of Keyboard Maestro; you may be able to set up a macro through that to quickly reopen and reposition the dialogues. A number of other users on the forum have created various AHK scripts, so you may be able to find some useful posts or assistance searching for that.

OK, may be I will find one.

Many thanks!

I forgot to specify, make sure you’re launching the app itself, not a specific project. Opening the program indirectly by double-clicking a project’s file, for instance, will open Scrivener with just that project, rather than the ones previously open. But if you launch Scrivener’s .exe (through a desktop shortcut for instance), it should be opening any projects that had been open when you previously exited, if you used File ▸ Exit. It looks like the deep behaviour of Alt+F4 is not quite the same as the menu command—it closes only the focussed window rather than all open windows—so select the command via the menu for this (accelerator keystrokes Alt, F, X would work), or assign it a different shortcut in the Keyboard tab of Options.

Yes, as our MM said, simply doing a File | Exit with that option set will work every time.

I actually use the shortcut keys (in succession) Alt-F, Alt-X to do this – the only ones other than copy paste that I really know :slight_smile:

If somehow it doesn’t, might try unsetting the checkbox, quit Scrivener, restart and click the box, then open your projects, try the file-exit, and see how it goes.

'puters…

Yes, that is what I did, menu File, Exit without success.

OK, checking and unchecking, I will try.

Thank you.

Hope that works for you.

After noting the last MM says, I tried Alt-F4, and she as ever is right about that – only closes top project, and so that’s a bug.

Actually using File | Exit does work fine for me, as well as the Alt-F, Alt X key combination set.

Thank you.

I will try again next time when closing the projects. I keep them open over some weeks generally.

Scrivener obviously has many bugs / unpleasantries (not sure whether I am going on using it), but - I am not sure - closing with ALT+F4 a single project only does not sound like a bug. I would think it is the usual behaviour, e.g. also in Word, OpenOffice, LibreOffice, etc. In Firefox, Thunderbird, etc.

Many thanks for trying.

A good point, perhaps…I’ve personally never used F4-based shortcuts on any software, since the times when it would often summarily close an entire application in the midst of something you were doing, too often without any saving of state, backup, etc… It’s a very old basic key.

Many thanks for trying.

Most welcome…

Alt-F4 is one of the few original Windows shortcuts that I still use.

Alt-F4 is sometimes said to close the application, and sometimes said to close a window.

That confusion probably reflects how old it is as a shortcut, back to when most applications only had one window.

What Alt-F4 actually does is close the focused window; if that window happens to be the primary window of an application, then Alt-F4 will shut down that application and all of that app’s child windows. If the focus is on one of those child windows – e.g., a Scrivener QR or bookmark window or a File Open dialog – Alt-F4 will close that window only (giving focus to the last opened window; usually?), and the Scriv project will stay open. To use Alt-F4 to close the Scrivener project, focus needs to be on the main project window. All other Scrivener projects will stay open.

Yes, that also is my experience.