How Control Markup for .MOBI and EPUB?

Hello Scriveners,

Just started using Scrivener a few hours ago…very pleased that I went from nothing to almost having Kindle and iBooks readable files in just a couple of hours.

“Close” may be OK for horseshoes, hand grenades and nuclear weapons…but not for eBooks.

The only thing between my current Scrivener manuscript and the Kindle Store/iBookstore is a couple of minor formatting irregularities that I just can’t figure out and am hopeful that you kind folks can point me in the right direction.

Is there somewhere a newbie, like me, can learn how to gain control over markup to generate Kindle or EPUB books?

Attached is an MS-Word .DOC file with screenshots of the HTML/CSS for a couple of specific examples. These examples include non-italics where italics have been formatted and a non-indent where indentation is expected. Scrivener-Minor-Problems.doc (52.5 KB)

Thank you in advance for whatever assistance you can provide.

Much, much appreciated.

Plane Wryter

Hi,

I’m afraid it’s impossible to determine the problem from the CSS, as that is generated by Apple’s HTML exporters and so the

style names are arbitrarily numbered depending on the formatting in the document. In general, e-books don’t support much custom formatting - e-readers are designed to override font, font size, whether text is justified or not and suchlike. Italics should be fine, though (although check the “Text Options” pane of Compile to ensure that you haven’t got it set up to replace italics with underlines). Maybe you could post screenshots instead of how the text looks in your e-book and how you want it to look?

Thanks and all the best,
Keith