How could one move folders / files from the left panel or the binder to the right panel?

How could one move folders / files from the left panel or the binder to the right panel?

Not. The left panel (Binder) is the Index to your Project. The right panel (Inspector) is metadata and information about a selected item in the Binder. Click any document in the Binder to see the properties of that document in the Inspector.

So, you can’t move folders or files from the left panel to the right by Design.

The Binder shows your project structure.

You can drag documents or images into other documents which reside in the Editor pane (the middle pane).

The right one is the Inspector and holds meta data for a selected document. You can drag images from the Research area of the Binder into the Synopsis section of the Inspector. And you can drag any kind of item in the Binder to the Document Bookmarks section of the Inspector. But these are, as the section name implies, just bookmarks.

1 Like

Sorry for my bad expression. I meant this:

Move folders, files from the binder to the next panel (editor) or to the third panel from the left or from the second panel (editor) to the third (editor) panel.

Still, you can’t move files from the Binder to the Editors either, but that’s nitpicking.

In the Navigate menu, you’ll find option,s the make the selection in the Binder respond to the “Oubther Editor”.

In the Window > Layouts menu, a “Dual Layout”-item makes a file browser of the left Editor. Clicking in there will show the results in the Other Editor.

Hope this helps

To move elements is nitpicking? Why is that?

In the Navigate menu, you’ll find option,s the make the selection in the Binder respond to the “Oubther Editor”.

Sorry, I do not understand. What does that mean? What do I have to do to achieve that?

In the Window > Layouts menu, a “Dual Layout”-item makes a file browser of the left Editor. Clicking in there will show the results in the Other Editor.

Sorry, I do not understand again. What do I have to do to achieve that? To get that file browser?

Sorry for my bad understanding.

NavigateOptions

Also, you can drag a Binder-item to the title bar of an Editor to show the contents of the file there.

I didn’t say that. I said that you still can’t move files, but I know what you mean, so I would be nitpicking.

In the Navigate menu, you’ll find options the make the selection in the Binder respond to the “Other Editor”.

OK, yes, thank you for the screenshot. Sorry again, my understanding, so then I can use them to move elements or doing what?

In the Navigate menu, you’ll find options the make the selection in the Binder respond to the “Other Editor”.

It appears I do not have such items in my menu there:

I didn’t say that. I said that you still can’t move files, but I know what you mean, so I would be nitpicking.

Ah, sorry for my ongoing misunderstanding.

ManageScreenshots
Click that option and uncheck the Hide Built-In Layouts in Menus option.

Now you’re nitpicking. :grinning: You cannot move files or folders away from your Binder. You can select an item in the Binder to open in the Other Editor.

Click that option and uncheck the Hide Built-In Layouts in Menus option.

Sorry, I even cannot find that manager, how did you get there?

Now you’re nitpicking. :grinning: You cannot move files or folders away from your Binder. You can select an item in the Binder to open in the Other Editor.

Ah, it seems we are two nitpicking (but cool) fellows. OK, so I then assume, I just should use that binder in that way, that is not bad either.

Choose that one option Manage Layout… to open the Layout manager.

What are you actually trying to do?

Do you want to rearrange the structure of your project, so that a document from the Binder is moved into the folder that you’re viewing in the Outline?

Or do you want to simply open a document from the Binder, without changing it’s location in the project?

(And have you looked at our Interactive Tutorial, available from the Help menu? It’s a good overview of fundamental operations like this.)

1 Like

Choose that one option Manage Layout… to open the Layout manager.

Yes, that was what I already did:

So there are no default items here…ah, so, one has to click the dots (although there is no item). Well, well, not that intuitive, I would think. So when I then click “Dual Navigation” I (almost) get the same as on my first screenshot, I assume.

What are you actually trying to do?
To generally move items folders, files. For general purposes, one always has to move / copy folders, files like it can be done in a file manager.

It should be a simple drag & drop action, but it does not work here. Only copying works.

Do you want to rearrange the structure of your project,

Rerranging, yes, for example. Just one folder drag to another place, a document or more of them.

so that a document from the Binder is moved into the folder that you’re viewing in the Outline?

Well, yes, why not, if there is such a situation. Actually I just would be able to just move the items generally. And especially for rerraging the structure.

(And have you looked at our Interactive Tutorial, available from the Help menu? It’s a good overview of fundamental operations like this.)

Yes, I did, a long time ago. So there is an explanation how to move items?

Here’s an example. Both editor panes are set up to use the Outliner view.

I’m moving doc “Creating a New Project” from the Binder to the left editor pane.

BEFORE

DURING - Drag “Creating a New Project” and drop it after “Bookmarks”

AFTER

I could have also dragged and dropped from editor pane to editor pane, or editor pane to binder.

Is this similar to what you are trying to do?

Best,
Jim

Jim’s screenshots are good. Are you seeing different behavior?

To reduce confusion, I would suggest naming documents before you try to move them, just so that you can confirm that the correct document did in fact move.

Is this similar to what you are trying to do?

Yes, that is what I wanted, copying and moving with the mouse from one panel / binder / editor to another now works.

Thank you very much!

Jim’s screenshots are good. Are you seeing different behavior?

Yes, it works now.

To reduce confusion, I would suggest naming documents before you try to move them, just so that you can confirm that the correct document did in fact move.

Alright, thank you.