How could one open a second instance of Scrivener, e.g. for moving / copying elements?

How could one open a second instance of Scrivener, e.g. for moving / copying elements?

Create a new project to copy to by dragging the items from the first project’s Binder to the second.

File > New Project, or File > Open… or File > Recent Projects or File > Favorite Projects.

Ah, very sorry again for bad expressioning.

I meant a second instance of the same project.

Sorry again.

You move or copy elements inside the one opened project.

Use the Duplicate command in the context menu of a Binder item. Drag any document anywhere inside your Binder,
Hit the plus-icons in the footer of the Binder, the Corkboard or the Ouliner to create new documents and folders. Drag those anywhere inside your Binder as well.
Duplicate and Edit Compile Formats before changing them to your wishes.
Select a Section Layout and hit the plus-button to create a copy and change it.
The list goes on and on.

Oops, OK, well, of course, yes, certainly, well. Actually I would like to move some elements at the moment and later, but that sounds quite great as well, of course.

Many thanks!

Might be easier to make a project 2(2 being the name of project with a 2 for the copy) and then move all original files over and can open projects at same time and look at different portions to help decide how want to rearrange to get better overall view. or do split editor view and start where you want to modify in one editor pane (say left one) now click on the right and navigate to section of project you are considering moving and can go back to left pane and show in the binder (right click on icon and reveal in the binder), now go to the right editor pane and drag icon where you want it and Magic and it is moved. So if the project files cannot be seen all one screen, this could work without a new project.

Check out §6.3.4, Moving and Copying Things Around, in the user manual PDF. This covers the dirt basics like drag and drop, and incremental movement with the keyboard, but it also goes into tools and tactics for long-distance movement.

Might be easier to make a project 2(2 being the name of project with a 2 for the copy) and then move all original files over

Yes, a good idea. I did a few times (quite elaborate). But how then does one move items? Copy and after delete the copied original (on 2)? And then find the original in the project being kept and delete it again? Isn’t that very errorprone and elaborate?

Check out §6.3.4, Moving and Copying Things Around, in the user manual PDF. This covers the dirt basics like drag and drop, and incremental movement with the keyboard, but it also goes into tools and tactics for long-distance movement.

Yes, of course. But actually I just want to copy and move folders and files by dragging & dropping (not by using the keyboard). I can move a file, folder by dragging & dropping it. How could I copy an item by dragging & dropping it? Pressing CTRL or SHIFT or ALT does not help.

What about this. Create a holding folder. Copy your project into it. Rename the project. Move it where you want. Now you have two identical copies of the same project but with different names. You can open them both. Anyway, that is what I would do. It is quick, easy and everything gets copied.

The documentation I referenced refers to that exact technique in the second item in the list, from the subheading I sent. There is an option you need to enable.

Also note the Documents ▸ Copy To ▸ submenu that section refers to. It’s not drag and drop, but it is good for cases where drag and drop is inefficient (like copying an item from level 8 of an outline into level 6 of an area 2,500 binder items away, where both are in collapsed folders in the binder).

I demonstrated this with screenshots in a reply to your other thread–did you not see this?

It’s almost always a bad idea to start two threads on the same topic. :nerd_face:

Best,
Jim

1 Like

What about this. Create a holding folder. Copy your project into it. Rename the project. Move it where you want. Now you have two identical copies of the same project but with different names. You can open them both.

Yes, a good idea. May be quite much to scroll up and down (twice as much of the items). And I had to additionally remove the items in the destination folder, I would think.

The documentation I referenced refers to that exact technique in the second item in the list, from the subheading I sent. There is an option you need to enable.

Ah, just press ALT while dragging & dropping and enable that mysterious option before (quite easily said, if only…). What sense does that option have, why should one disable / enable the copy option with the mouse?). That option already was enabled, but when I press ALT and drag the symbol near the mouse pointer obviously keeps staying the same instead of changing to a “+”.

I demonstrated this with screenshots in a reply to your other thread–did you not see this?

Ah, very sorry, Jim, I didn’t see it indeed. No notification e-mails suddenly (but not for this thread, very strange).

It’s almost always a bad idea to start two threads on the same topic. :nerd_face:

Yes, that’s very true, unfortunately most of my ideas are bad and the most of my bad ideas are even much worse. But actually I would not think it is the same topic. Sorry again, Jim. But, yes, that looks like what I wanted. Many thanks!

1 Like

Yeah, they should probably fix the cursor problem. It works though. There is the opposite problem on the Mac, often it shows a “+” icon when it means nothing of the sort and will just move it. Probably these things are trickier to fix than we think.

As for why there is an option that is off by default—no clue! Never made sense to me to not have it just a part of the core way things work, since it’s such a common capability even in the most basic of file managers provided by OS makers.

It’s worth experimenting with that Alt key though when dragging stuff. It’ll sometimes do useful things. For example dragging an item to an editor header bar loads that item there, but Alt-dragging it clips the item to the existing content as a “copyholder”, as a static reference. Dragging an image into the editor embeds it, but Alt-dragging creates a hyperlink to the document.

It’s worth experimenting with that Alt key though when dragging stuff.

Yes, I automatically press CTRL or ALT when dragging / dropping generally to see how the pointer reacts (copy, move, link) to it.

I am wondering why there is a (restricted) copyholder at all. And why there is not a third, fourth editor instead.
Is there (such) a way / key (mouse combination) to always open each quick reference window fullsized?

I am wondering why there is a (restricted) copyholder at all. And why there is not a third, fourth editor instead.

You can read more about the design philosophy Scrivener adheres to in this post. Note that at this time some of the page number and section numbers may be off a little, as this was written several years ago and before the Windows manual existed.

Is there (such) a way / key (mouse combination) to always open each quick reference window fullsized?

Not like that as such, or at all at the moment. The implementation for how QR windows open is incomplete. It’s supposed to remember the last window size you used for new windows, so if you prefer a particular size or position it would just work that way (and existing windows should also remember where you put them and how big they are, from one session to the next).

Thank you for the link.

It’s supposed to remember the last window size you used for new windows, so if you prefer a particular size or position it would just work that way (and existing windows should also remember where you put them and how big they are, from one session to the next).

OK, that does not seem to work here.