How could one wirte / have text on the right / left side of an image?

How could one wirte / have text on the right / left side of an image? Instead of having unused space?

You compile into some format usable by a desktop publishing software and fix it outside Scriv when the text is finished.

Thank you, lunk,

Yes, sorry, I meant inside Scrivener, the are the screenshot displays.

Many thanks again

No. Scrivener can’t handle word wrap around images. This is one of my major complaints as well. The way you can force it is with a table. Insert the table with 2 columns 1 row. Put the image in column 1 and put the text in column 2. But honestly, I do like Lunk said and handle it in another program.

Yes, I understood that, and you don’t, like steveshank wrote. Scrivener can’t. So you have to do it in some other app, designed for desktop publishing.

Yes. yes, of course, I understand, thank you.

Yes, absolutely, of course, no question, I appreciate your undestanding, you are totally right, but actually it is not what I would like to do.

The developers don’t seem to want to turn Scrivener into something it isn’t – a full-fledged layout program.

Since they’re the ones who actually write the program, I suspect Scrivener will not function in the way you want for the forseeable future.

Thank you, devinganger.

Yes, that of course might be true, indeed, I do not have any idea what they are planning. Sorry, I am not quite sure about the context.

I think the choice of RTF for the editor is what creates the difficulty. RTF programs do not seem to wrap text around images, where HTML does it elegantly.

My guess is we are probably stuck with this design decision.

As with all strategic decisions, there are benefits and penalties. I’m sure we get a lot of benefits from this decision, but this seems to be one of the downsides. Whatever choice was made, there would be positives and negatives.

I do not know RTF, but assume there is no command to do what we want and therefore doing it would force the document outside the rtf specs. If the spec was there, we’d see it in other rtf formatting editors like wordpad.

Yes, that sounds very plausible.

Actually I would consider to use tables (with none visible borders, cells) for thiis purpose, but if I remember it right in Open/Libre Office, may be in Word as well, it somehow always caused problems. Especially when importing / exporting / changing formatting / updates of those programs and such. And I am afraid it might be the same with Scrivener.

Actually, that’s not true. For isntance, Nisus Writer Pro—Mac only, I’m afraid—does it, but Nisus is a team of programmers producing a WYSIWYG word processor like Word, Open/Libre Office, etc., and it took them several years of development from the launch of Nisus Writer until they included text wrapping.

Given the stated aims of Scrivener as a text draft production application, not one with page-layout pretensions, I can understand why KB, as a sole developer, has never felt the need to do the immense amount of work involved. I suspect LAP and Tiho_D—the two people programming the Windows version … and no, it is not a port of the Mac version—might well feel the same.

Mark

… and with there being several other apps available aimed at handling the layout of publications, there are several alternatives for those who want to fix their own final layout.

Thanks Mark. I was hoping that someone would correct me if I was wrong. The programmers for the Windows version could theoretically look and the RTF produced by Nisus to do what they do and figure out how to reverse program it. I haven’t seen anyone do this in Windows though but, maybe it does exist there too.

As I said, I don’t think Lit&Lat have any interest in that, and doing something on one platform without it—eventually … Scrivener for Mac had something like 7 years of development, and 5 years of public use before programming even started on the Windows version, hence the current disparities, though v.3 is apparently due to create feature parity wherever possible—being available on the other would go against the intention of having the same projects accessible to both platforms.

As lunk and Devin Ganger have already said, there are plenty of applications like Word, OpenOffice etc., NWP, Pages, In Design … which have page layout/make-up as their aim. I, for instance, always run my compiled Scrivener output through NWP before printing … it takes about a minute to do it using macros in NWP.

So I’m with Lit&Lat on this. Keep Scrivener lean and clean and leave the niceties of layout to programs developed for that purpose.

Mark