How do I best cut to the chase?

I have perhaps a hundred or more pieces I have written. The majority are a page or two. I want to compile them into one Scrivener document, plus a preface. These pieces are mostly written in WordPerect (still love it!), some are in TXT. A fair number of WP items have been converted to PDF.

So how do I import these into an umbrella file? And, if possible, to assign page numbers?

First, go through the Tutorial project, available from the Help menu.

Then, import the material into a new project. For files that you plan to assemble into a draft – as opposed to research – the best formats are RTF, Word, ODT, and plain text. Scrivener cannot import WP files directly, and PDF files are not easily editable.

Shuffle around as needed. Write the preface.

Use the Compile command to assemble the output document. The Tutorial gives a basic introduction, but there are a lot more options depending on what you want to do.

Page numbers are done as the very last step. Don’t bother yourself with that.
For now, just go by this rule: one file (your current files, what you want to import), one binder document. (Or more, if split.) But don’t try to put a bunch of unrelated files in a single binder document just because you want them sequential.

Ignore pretty much all of what you’ve learned in other softwares.
Act as if you had never used text editing before.
Follow all of @kewms advice.

I’d say: Cut and “Paste and Match Style” in new documents from Word Perfect and PDF-files, manually remove Hard Returns from the PDFs (or use a simple Regular Expression: replace \n for a space character).

Use File > Import> Files with Rich Text Format and Plain Text Format documents.

Keep each entry in a new document, don’t place all text together in one document.

Creating a Template and folders with Documents > Default Template for subdocuments may speed up the process of formatting the items alike.

To learn how to do all this, check out the Interactive Tutorial, found in the Help menu.

Hope this Helps

Antoni means Copy and then “Paste and Match Style”.
You want to leave your source files unchanged, for safety, certainly.

As everyone is describing for you, you will be creating a single Scrivener project which will house a separate Scriv text document for each of your source documents. These Scriv docs can be arranged and rearranged at will in Scrivener’s Binder area. (Scrivener’s Scrivenings View Mode let’s you view your docs in one long stream at any time.). In the end you will use the Compile function to bring the whole thing together with a table of contents etc, and output your book to some desired file format (e.g., pdf).

2 Likes

I’d suggest you look at first for a WordPerfect batch convert tool. It would be quite arduous to open every single one of your hundred and more files and either use WordPerfect’s most certainly existing Export to function or to copy and past every file’s content into a Scrivener document.

A quick search pointed me to WPD Converter. You did not mention your platform (it’s for Mac) and I can’t tell you if it is any good. But for that price it would be a no-brainer for me if I needed conversion of that many files.

As soon as you have files in a format Scrivener can read and write (see above) you create a new project and simply drag and drop them into its Drafts folder.

When the texts are properly structured by headings—meaning: they are not just using a different/bigger/bold font for headings but have actual heading paragraph styles or Markdown header markups—you should go for Scrivener’s Import & Split function which will transfer the structure into Scrivener’s Binder. But I guess that mostly won’t be the case with your short pieces.

And while we’re at it: When you import a file to Scrivener by whatever method the file gets copied and the original stays untouched.

1 Like