How do I Compile or print all folders in a project?

Hi,
Scrivener does a great job compiling my text. How do I get it to compile my characters folders, research folders and other folders that I have set up? I would like to print them and review them. I like to look at thing on paper when reviewing. I can only seem to print the text of the story I am working on. Is there any way to compile and print everything I have in Scrivener project?

There isn’t an easy automatic way of doing that short of moving all of your research into the Draft folder temporarily—and that will only work if your research is text. If there are media or other file types in these folders the drop will be prohibited. If your universe information is text files though, and if you do like working this way, having an “Appendix” folder or something at the bottom of your Draft would be a good way of working until you get to the point where your compiles should focus strictly on the book. Toggling whether you have background material included would be as simple as selecting the top level folder containing all of it and hitting Ctrl-Left or Right arrow to change the indent level.

Another approach that doesn’t require drastically altering your binder is to just dump everything into a collection and then selecting that collection as your compile group, at the top of the Contents compile option pane. While easier, and less “destructive”, it does have the drawback of forcing everything in the list into a flat list instead of indented, which may not work with your Formatting compile pane settings.

Thanks for the advise. I tried your suggestion. It works, but when I print out the information, it wastes a lot of paper. I try to be green. It would be great if there was a print setting where you could print the whole project or download the project to word. I guess I’ll have to save my research to another program since I can’t easily print it if I save it to Scrivener. I appreciate your assistance. Thank you!

Well, if you mean to just export your data to a format that Word can read, then choose “RTF” instead of “Print” in the “Compile For” drop-down. The strategies above do not rely upon whether you are physically using paper and ink for the output. I stay green as well, and use PDF for my “printouts”. I only framed it that way since you were asking how to print.

Additionally, I’d check in the “Separators” section of Compile that you don’t have “Page Break” set for any of them–it could be that you’ve got an unnecessary page break between every document, which would end up with a lot of extra pages.