How do I convert all annotations or inline footnotes in a project into regular text?

Is there a way to get Scrivener to turn all inline footnotes in a project to normal text, all at once?

• I see Edit → Transformations contains options to turn all inline comments/footnotes into inspector comments/footnotes, but can I convert them to body text?
  • If I have some inline footnotes within a single document, I can select all, hit command-option-0 to turn everything into an inline footnote, and then hit cmd-opt-0 again to unfootnote it all. But across multiple documents in Scrivenings it doesn’t seem to work.
  • Is this an option I can toggle in some Compile window?

Background: I’m planning to compile my manuscript into RTF format and then run it through Zotero’s “RTF Scan,” which takes care of all the citation formatting for you as long as you put Zotero-legible citation placeholders into your text in curly brackets - something like {Kuhn 1962} or {Einstein, “On the Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies”, 1905, 7}. The Zotero placeholders don’t have to be in footnotes themselves; Zotero will see the {Kuhn 1962} and replace it with a footnote (or endnote, or inline citation, whatever you tell it to do). In fact if they are in footnotes already it generates some bad effects.

So when I compile it for the final time, I’d like to have all my inline footnotes turn to normal text to make it more Zotero friendly. I do want to keep using inline footnotes for the moment, because it’s way easier to tell the notes from the text and, if I am compiling intermediate versions, they’ll still be footnotes. But I’m hoping there’s a command to turn all inline footnotes into just regular text.

Thank you!

In the Compatibility pane of the Compile Format Editor, check the box to “flatten footnotes into regular text,” which exists for exactly this purpose. See Section 24.21 in the (Mac) Scrivener manual for more information.

1 Like

Thank you! That is helpful. But not quite what I am looking for, now that I’ve tried it out. What I’d like is for the inline footnote to flatten to text right where the footnote is, not numbered endnotes.

In other words, I’d like the compiled output to look like

Text text text.[inline footnote]

just as it does in the editor, not

Text text text.[1]

[1] Inline footnote

Is there a way to do that?

I have figured out that if I:

(a) convert the inline footnotes to inline annotations
(b) set the Compile Format Editor > Footnotes & Comments to export comments & annotations as inline and to have no enclosing markers
(c) uncheck Remove annotations in Compile Options

Then I get the result I want.

So if there’s not a way to make inline footnotes flatten where they are upon compiling, maybe that’s the solution - use inline annotations instead of inline footnotes. (Thank you for making it easy to convert inline comments/footnotes ↔ inspector comments/footnotes, and inspector footnotes ↔ inspector comments.)

From Scrivener’s point of view, you need to de-footnote them before the page is laid out. That is, the layout engine will place any footnotes that it sees either at the end or at the bottom of the page.

There’s no way to do that within the Compile command: the Compile command assumes that if you’d wanted annotations, you would have created them. You told it these were footnotes, so foot/endnotes is what you get.

In other words yes, you need to convert them to inline annotations.

1 Like

Totally workable solution! Thank you again to the developers for making all these formats interchangeable.