How do I do this?

I need to know two things: (1) Is there a way to alphabetize Drafts in Scrivener? (2) I keep trying to download version 2.0 of Scrivener but it’s like a vicious cycle. I think I’m supposed to pay for this upgrade but it doesn’t ask for money. It just downloads it and then when I try to open it, it asks me if I want to download it. How does this work?

#2 You have to quit Scrivener, go to your downloads folder, double-click on the Scrivener.DMG file, and when that opens, drag it to your /Applications folder (not to your Dock). Then go to your finder, and in the side-bar, click on the eject symbol next to the Scrivener “disk” icon.

Enough people got upset when it automatically installed version 2.0 (after warning them in the text of the update notification that it was a Paid Upgrade), that Keith changed it so that it only downloads the software, and forces you to manually install the new version.

I’ve never tried to do #1, but I think it’s possible in version 2.0.

1. Assuming you’re asking whether you can alphabetically sort items in the Binder, yes. Select the folder or document group whose contents you want to alphabatize, then choose Document>Sort>Ascending. This works in both 1.54 and 2.

2. It sounds like you’re updating from withing 1.54. As the update notice explains, you need to download 2.0 from the website and go here to purchase the discounted upgrade license, using the same email under which you purchased 1.x. If you don’t remember which email you used or if you’ve changed it, you can email sales support and David will help you out.

When you download and install 2.0, it will be in trial mode for the 30-day period so you will have to click through that notice until you enter your new license information, but you shouldn’t need to redownload if you got it off the website.

Thanks to all of you for your speedy replies. I will go according to your instructions to download the upgrade again.

I was asked by a friend if we could alphabetize ‘drafts’ so I’m not sure whether or not she meant the folders/binders.

Again, thank you!

In 2.0 you can also sort items temporarily in the Outliner view by clicking on the column header; the “Sort” function is a permanent thing and you’d have to manually rearrange them back if you realized you didn’t want it that way. Outliner sorting also lets you sort in some different ways, since you can sort any column–so by label, status, custom meta-data, etc.–whereas sorting directly in the Binder will only go by title. (In 1.54 it’s only possible to sort by title.) You can make any of these a permanent switch by moving the contents of Outliner back into the proper folder in the Binder, so you have a lot of extra options that way.

But obviously if you just want alphabetical by title, “sort” is easiest. :wink: Just keep in mind that it works on a single level, so you can sort the contents of a folder but any subdocuments of those contents will need to be sorted separately.