How do I find where a chapter title is located?

Hi there.

I often use the search function to look for a piece of writing I have somewhere. It will find the piece of writing, but it does not tell me where it is in my story. How can I find out this location information using the search function?

Select the section in the search results that you wish to locate in the outline, and use the View/Reveal in Binder menu command. This will flip back to the Binder view and uncollapse any outline necessary to reveal the item.

The main issue with this method at the moment is that it wipes out your search term. In 2.0 there will be several new features and behaviour tweaks that will make this process easier. For one you’ll be able to inspect the “path” of an item via its header bar icon menu. For another, search results will be stored in a special tab, so switching back to the Binder view will not wipe out the result list. A third method will be a new command that lets you jump “up” a level from whatever you are editing, and view that item in context with its sibling cards.

Thank you.

Extremely helpful and a great relief to find that function.

And the service here is outstanding.

:smiley:

Thanks for the info, Amber! I was just about to ask the same question.

Hi. Thanks for Scrivener 2.0. Loving it.

but Arghh! I can never find the NEWTOPIC button in the user forum.

Why can’t that button be available all the time?

Whenever I have a question for the User Forum I arrive in a confused state, and I get more confused trying to find the NEWTOPIC button. I realise this may mean I’m a bit slow, but please, please can we have a NEWTOPIC button available more easily?

Now, some miscellaneous questions that so far have me flummoxed:

1. Is there a button I can use to unhighlight? Or is the only way to go through the menu?
  2. Why is the option to go into Two Page view grey for me? I would love to use it but it seems I am not allowed for some reason.
  3. I thought I read that Scrivener 2.0 will remember when a document or folder was last in corkboard setting or document setting. Yet that does not seem to be working for my document. Why is this?
  4. How do I stop seeing the templates page whenever I exit Scivener?

That’s all for now.

I do love the new program. Great job.

Duncan S

I’ve always had the New Topic button appear when viewing topics (not, of course, when viewing individual threads; you have to be viewing at the topic level, e.g. in Feedback or in Tips & Tricks), so I can’t comment on that. But I’ve answered your other questions inline, so hopefully that’s something…

If you have the Format Bar visible, you can click the highlight box on that. (Format>Show Format Bar if it’s not visible for you.) You can also use the keyboard shortcut cmd-shift-H.

This is only available if you’re in Wrap to Page mode, vs Wrap to Editor. Make sure that View>Page View>Show Page View is checked. You should have the option for two pages if that’s turned on. You can also toggle between the two wrap modes with the “Wrap” icon in the toolbar.

It remembers which setting you’ve used for folders as a group, so if you last viewed a folder as a corkboard it will load your next folder selection in corkboard mode. It doesn’t retain the setting for individual folders. You can refine this slightly by choosing whether Scrivener should “treat all documents with subdocuments as folders” in the Preferences under Navigation. (If it is checked, clicking on document groups will load them with the last used folder view; if it is unchecked, they’ll load in regular single document view by default.)

In Preferences:General, uncheck “Show start panel when there are no projects open.”

… or you can actually quit Scrivener, instead of just closing all of your projects. In Mac OS X, any program that can have multiple “files” open will not completely quit when you hit the red button on it’s window. Going to the menu Scrivener->Quit, or using the keyboard short-cut CMD-Q will close all open Scrivener projects and exit the Scrivener program.

A major advantage to quitting scrivener via the menu/keyboard is that if you still had your project or projects open when you quit, it/they will automatically reopen when you launch Scrivener again.

…assuming you leave “Reopen projects that were open on quit” checked in Preferences:General.

I should probably also add that if you turn off the preference to have the template chooser show when no projects are open, then if you close all your projects before you quit (or don’t have the “reopen projects” checked) then when you start Scrivener, you won’t see that dialogue box either and will have to be sure to go through File>Open, etc.