How do I publish this?

I’m in a bit of a fix, and I’m hoping someone here has some experience in what the best way to proceed is.

I’ve written a book in Scrivener, in MMD, and now I want to turn it into an ePub. Since MMD -> ePub isn’t available as an option (HTML vs XHTML, right? Sounds to me like something a regex could solve, but it’s probably more complicated than that), I’m trying to figure out what the best solution for me is.

I don’t want to go through a crazy terminal-based tool chain or other weird tools to get this working; I’d rather do the work up front if that’s what’s needed.

So, I could:

Export to RTF, export to ePub from Pages. This works, except for some reason MMD doesn’t style block quotes when exporting to RTF, and I’ve got a bunch of those. I could go through and manually fix everything, but that means I’d then be working out of Pages as my canon manuscript, and I’d obviously prefer to keep it all in Scrivener.

Export to RTF, copy/paste back into Scrivener, overwriting my MMD; then export to ePub. This could work, but it means losing the power of MMD, which is counter to why I chose to go with it in the first place. And besides, I do a lot of references, which MMD is great at. It’s also a lot of work, but I can deal with that.

MMD to ePub would obviously be perfect (and that it doesn’t exist already is kind of crazy).

What to do?

1. Duplicate your MMD manuscript and move the copy out of the Draft folder.
  2. Compile to RTF
  3. Copy & paste over “original” MMD
  4. compile to ebook.

That’s the only way I know of that doesn’t involve the soul-curdling horrors of the command line.

Unfortunately MMD → RTF doesn’t do blockquotes.

I tried github.com/fletcher/MMD-ePub, but the .epub didn’t work for some reason.

Maybe the Sigil ebook editor can help you fix the output of the MMD script? I’ve never used it, so I have no idea if it’s going to be helpful for finding whatever issues exist for the output.

code.google.com/p/sigil/