How do I "save as" to different locations??

Every time I try to “save as,” I get the message “Cannot save to a project’s folder.” This happens everywhere. I am very paranoid and need to have multiple backups of my novel project, especially in Google Drive. Can anyone tell me the best way to create these backups? I KNOW Scrivener creates auto backups…but it’s not enough for me…I have to have off-site backup…online being the best.

Thanks for any advice! Or clarity!

The best way to make a manual backup from within Scrivener is to use File > Back Up > Back Up To…, and if you’re putting it on Google Drive it’s best to tick the option to create the backup as a zipped archive.

Scrivener project folders, with the .scriv extension, shouldn’t contain any files other than what Scrivener creates there, so you will get an error message when trying to save from Scrivener into any .scriv folder. Since you’re getting this all the time, though, my guess is that you’re adding “.scriv” in the “File name” field of the Save As dialog, and that’s throwing the error. I’ll see if there’s anything we can do about that, but in the meanwhile, just enter the name you want to use for the new copy of the project and leave the “.scriv” extension off; Scrivener will add that itself.

Bear in mind though that every time you use Save As, the new copy of the project you’re saving becomes the active copy, leaving a trail of abandoned copies behind. One of the benefits of using the Back Up command is that you remain always working in the same project, in the same location on your hard drive, and create separate backup copies in whatever other locations you choose. That’s much safer for backing up to Google Drive, because it means you’re not working directly from Google Drive and so aren’t risking sync glitches corrupting the project (c.f. this advisory). You can also automatically add a date stamp to the backup file name, which I find handy since you can easily save multiple backups of the same project to the same backup location and you don’t have to worry if Google Drive changes the “created date” or “modified date” meta-data. (I don’t know if it does, but I have had that experience a few times using Dropbox.)

I forgot to say, you can also change the location where your automatic backups are saved, so you may want to consider switching that to Google Drive or another location that’s regularly backed up externally. Just keep them as zipped files if you are choosing to go to a synced folder, as it helps ensure the project is kept intact. (Really I just recommend using the zipped option for backups all the time, unless you have a project where zipping just isn’t feasible because of the size.) Settings for automatic backups are under Tools > Options and affect all projects.

I had the same problem, but apparently the current document is the one on my flash drive, and the one on my computer’s hard drive is the old copy that I couldn’t copy over with the “Save As . . .” function. It would only be a minor issue except for another issue I am having. I think it is due to the flash drive, but I might be wrong.

Everything to do with this project is extremely slow. When I type, it takes awhile for the letters to appear on the screen. It takes a long time to load the project, and to bring up any dialogue boxes (like for saving) and it even takes a long time to quit. All of this is very irritating, but as I said, I suspect that it is because of it being on a small flash drive rather than the hard drive. So if I could get the main project saved on the hard drive and have the back-ups go to the flash drive, I think it might solve the problem. Or maybe the problem is what you mentioned, that I have all the abandoned copies. How would I go about deleting them and still having the back-ups and the active copy on my hard drive rather than the flash drive?

I have the feeling that I am spouting a bunch of nonsense, so I will stop and wait to see what you have to say.

Here’s my advice: Install something like dropbox or google drive. Once you have that folder set up, go to Tools->Options->Backup, and move the automatic backups to the folder for your cloud sync service. Also check the “compress automatic backups as zip files” option, and select any other options that you like.

That will make sure your automatic backups are co-located (your hard drive, and the cloud service).

If you still want to keep another set of backups on your thumb drive, then do this: Close scrivener. Locate your project (the .scriv folder) on the thumb drive and move it to your computer’s Documents folder, or wherever you prefer. Open that copy, and chose File->Back up->Back Up to… and choose the thumb drive as the destination. Go ahead and select the option to .zip compress that backup too, along with any other options you prefer.

You can now delete all the spare copies on your hard drive and thumb drive created via “Save As”. From this point forward, use File->Back Up->Back Up To… to create manual backups, and let Scrivener create its automatic backups to the cloud folder when you close the project.