How do I set the margins so they're like Word?

I’m going to make Scrivener my official writing program (I’ve already written a book and part of an academic paper with it) but I’m wondering if anyone knows the default margins Word uses and how I can permanently set this in Scrivener.

Margins are a Compile time step, but if you like seeing your text in the same manner (it can be disconcerting to see your words going to wide), you can show the Ruler in Format > Show Ruler. Then there’s a little arrow pointing up on the right side. Move that to 6.5 or 7 inches. That will give you a look of either 0.75 or 1 inch margins, which is pretty standard.

The ruler, as Dretzle indicates, allows you to set the first-line, overhang, and right indents, as in Word. If you want to increase or decrease the editor margin area, go into Tools > Options and click the Editor tab, and you’ll see a place toward the bottom right of the panel to enter a margin setting, which will affect the “padding” area around the text in the editor window. In this area also you can adjust the ruler in the sample text area to set the default formatting for all new text documents; then you won’t need to be continually adjusting the ruler every time you start a new document.

Margins are set in compile in the Page Settings pane (click the blue arrow icon to the right of the “Format As” pop-up if you don’t see this).

One note on that, this ruler setting is not actually a margin setting, but a right-indent setting which is capable of overriding the established page margin. The above is accurate, margins are not applied to anything until you compile—there are no margins in this program just as there are no pages. So if you set up a right-indent to what would ordinarily be the right-hand margin, you are actually going to be one inch off! Since there are no margins in the editor, our ruler starts 0" at the text block, not the paper edge. Thus a 6.5" setting is actually going to end up being a 7.5" setting when you add 1" of left margin to the output—and that will override any margin you had set on the right-hand side, causing the text to overflow the intended text block (or paper in some cases).

So try not to use that for anything but actual indents. The advice to use editor margins for this is probably going to suit you better, and since that is just visual padding placed into the window, it has nothing to do with the formatting. A planned feature will establish a “fixed width” editor, that limits how wide the editor can go. So even if the window is too wide, you can keep a respectable line length without having to mess with margins.

Of course, if you intend to override all formatting when you compile, then it is okay to mess with indents however you wish.

Hi,
Is it possible to enter an exact value for margins? If I move the cursor, it’s quite difficult to set the exact value I want.
Thanks,

Margin settings don’t have a slider at all, you just type in the precise value that you want. These are in the Page Settings compile option pane. Again, if you are using the ruler that isn’t actually a margin setting. At any rate there isn’t a way to type in the value, but you can set the ruler to snap to points instead of free-floating, in the Editor options tab; that’ll probably do what you want.

My question is related to margins. I was wondering how to change/eliminate/add the blue sideways triangles on the ruler at the top of a “scrivening”? If my words are not helpful I’ll try explaining it again.

The tab stops? Just drag them off of the ruler. All of this is documented in §13.4.1 (pg. 98). They don’t really look like sideways triangles, but I’m not sure what else you mean. You could try posting a screenshot with the thing you are talking about highlighted.

Oh, wait, I see your OS tag is “Mac”. I assumed you were on Windows since that is where this thread is located. On a Mac they do look like sideways triangles, and the documentation is in §14.4.1 (pg. 176).

Thanks Amber. I had done a search for my query and this thread came up. I totally didn’t think to look at what section it was under. Thanks for the reference in the Manual it helped wonderfully.