How do you: Insert a preview of the next book in the series?

I want to insert some chapter to the next book in the series for my reader. How do you handle this? Does it go in the back matter? Do you insert the chapters after the end of the current book in the binder and reset chapter numbering?

Are you composing the series into one project? If so, have a look at the <$include> feature, as documented in the user manual PDF, §10.1.5, Including Text From Other Documents. This placeholder code makes it possible to insert text from other areas of your project into the compiled output. The original doesn’t need to be a part of the current book you’re exporting.

It may be more complicated if you break your chapters out into multiple sections in the outline—including only inserts the one thing you include, not any child items as well. So you’d have to reproduce the structure and put each respective include tag pointing to the original items, if that makes sense. For example with a folder + scene file approach, you probably wouldn’t need an include placeholder in the folder text area at all, it’s presence is enough to create a chapter break if that is how you have things set up. But each scene file would then be recreated within that folder, with each file containing nothing but the include tag pointing to its associated scene file in the other book draft.

Personally I would create a new section type for this, called “Preview Chapter” or something. Then you could set up a custom Layout that is duplicated from the main chapter break layout you use, but has had its numbering placeholder tweaked to use its own stream. For example, you might have <$n:chapter> for the book itself, but if you change that to <$n:previewChapter> for this layout, then it would start at “1”.

Thank you Amber. Setting up a new section type was my thought. I will give this all a shot and try it out.

Is there any way to put the back matter after the main book and before the preview book?

I would consider a preview chapter to be part of the back matter, considering how it works. It isn’t, technically speaking, but there also isn’t a good technical description for that process that I’m aware of.

Excellent points. Many thanks