How do you use Document Notes

Hi folks,

Some times ago we discussed the use of Project Notes. Now, please let me say how I’m using Document Notes at this time.

I’m writing a rather long and articulate feature for a music magazine, made up of a number of short parts and a couple longer ones.

While I could have used nested folders to let the corkboard show both the whole article’s and each single parts’ structure, I was not comfortable with it, since each concept usually corresponds to a single paragraph, and I ended up preferring a single document for each part, instead of a document for each concept/paragraph.

So I decided to make a dotted list of concepts in the Document Notes pane. Since the main article consists of less than twenty concepts, this seems to work fine, and has already helped me to reshape the article in a way I like.

Document Notes do not scroll with the text, so I can keep an eye to the structure while I’m writing. Nice.

Paolo

… in the end, however, I converted everything to a classic Scrivener series of nested documents. Much easier to do restructuring, with the help of the corkboard and outliner.

It is a shame document titles cannot be hidden for each single document. Currenlty, I’ve a mix of (a) single documents, and (b) binded documents:

Document 1 (a)
Document 2 (a)
Document group 3
Document 3.1 (b)
Document 3.2 (b)
Document 4 (a)

I would be happy to be able to export the title of the (a) documents, but not of the (b) documents (only the title of their parent document group should be exported):

Document 1 (a)
Document 2 (a)
Document group 3
Document 4 (a)

Paolo

Perhaps I’m not following what you need precisely, but if you plan your Binder types well, you can effectively do this. I don’t want titles printed for most of my sections, so I leave the title export feature off for “Files” in the export pane. But I leave it on for File Groups. Those are just what you get when you stack documents under documents. When the icon changes to a stack of papers, that node becomes a File Group, and it can be treated differently than regular Files in export. In addition you have the Folder type which can have its own settings. So if you want to keep titles off of File Groups too for some reason, you could simply use the Folder binder type wherever you want a visible title.

I should have written “files” instead of “documents”, sorry.
My problem is that my article is mixing ordinary files and file groups. For example:

1 Preface
2 Overview of wp apps
3 Overview of dtp apps
4 Wp’s vs. dtp’s
4.1 Why using wp’s
4.2 Why using dtp’s
4.3 Comparison
5 InDesign vs. XPress
5.1 Introduction
5.2 Main screen
5.3 Text flow
5.4 Color management
6 Other WP’s
7 Other dtp’s

When exporting, I want a title for files and file groups on the primary level, i.e., 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7, but not for files on the secondary level, i.e., from 4.1 to 4.3, and 5.1 to 5.4.

Is there a way to do this - apart manually deleting them after having exported them?

Paolo

Hmm, the only way I can think of doing this is probably of no help to you. When using MultiMarkdown, the title export option generates an MMD title, that way the Binder outline is preserved in the exported document, but in a structural way rather than a visual way. If you check off the “Preserve formatting” toggle (which is meaningless in an MMD workflow, otherwise), then no title is generated for that file, even if the file group is otherwise set to export titles.

Like I said, probably not much help to you, unless you don’t use any formatting in your writings, then the MMD->RTF workflow might work (but not if you need semantic RTFs, such as real footnotes and such).

Files, file groups, and folders are each treated separately when it comes to exporting titles and text, but how they are treated does not depend on how deeply they are nested in the structure.

For my own work, I convert a file to a folder if I want the title to export, and turn off title export for files. You can have text in a folder; it’s just set by default to display the corkboard instead of the text when you click on it. (Which you can change, of course.)