How is a "session" defined with session targets?

I was pleased to learn about the session and document length target feature in Scrivener. One key combo and I can check on my progress. I’ve set a goal for myself of 1,000 words a day and with all the different places I’ve got text going in it was inconvenient keeping track.

But I don’t understand how sessions are defined. I’d assumed (due to the “reset at midnight” feature and the other options for resetting the count) that a “session” was one day. Last night I was trying to hit my goal before midnight and somewhere around 700 words the clock struck 12 and my session reset to zero. That made sense.

I got another couple hundred words down and then paused to go research a topic for the scene I was writing. When I got back to Scrivener, my “session” progress bar was back at 0 of 1000 words.

I only started using session tracking two days ago and I’ve had my session reset to zero four times now, only twice at midnight. That’s not enough times to see a pattern but I think that both extra times were early in the morning. Is it possible that Scrivener is confused by Daylight Savings and thinking it’s hitting midnight both at midnight and 1am? (that seems unlikely.) Is there a “reset session count” key combo I might be accidentally hitting?

What is Scrivener comparing my word count against? Is it possible that “sync with external folder” is resetting my session somehow?

Interestingly enough, shutting down Scrivener and opening up my project on another computer does not seem to trigger a reset.

I wish I had some more information but I’ll keep an eye on it and see if I can see a pattern emerge.

Oh! Sorry, v2.3.1 running on Mountain Lion.

There are no shortcuts to cause a reset, the only thing that should reset the counter is that Reset button. Perhaps that was getting accidentally clicked? I can’t think of anything that would cause the midnight setting to reset twice per night, but maybe there is a problem with it. This one is hard to bug test, as you can imagine. :slight_smile: I’d have to stay up writing for three hours in the middle of the night and hope to see it.

Off the wall question: you aren’t collaborating with someone in New Zealand or anything, right?

As an aside, if you are a night owl you might find the “Reset session count on next day opened” to be more useful. This tracks the calendar date when you open a project. So if you open a project at 10pm on the 26th and write until 3am the 27th, that doesn’t matter because Scrivener keeps track of when you opened it. Thus even though you stopped writing on the 27th, when you open the project again at 3pm it checks the stored time, sees the 26th, notes that today is 27, and resets the counter. Later that night you can open the project again and it will not increment because it is still the 27th. Of course if you open the project at 3pm and 1am and consider that block of time to be within the “same day” it won’t work. If your day is tipped that far, manually resetting it might work better so long as you find it easy to remember to do so.

Thanks!

No, not collaborating with anyone at all. Both my laptop and desktop systems seem to have the same time zone settings and I don’t open my document with different machines at the same time. Scrivener warns me if I try and I’m afraid to find out what would happen if I had it open in both places.

What I’m wondering about now is whether Dropbox has some way of datestamping files that differs from that of OS X, and whether it somehow affects a time check that Scrivener does. Clearly I’m sort of grasping at straws here. I suppose one way to test could be to stop using Dropbox and open my Scrivener projects over VPN if I’m not at home. But since I am my own sysadmin, Dropbox tends to be more reliable than my VPN. :wink:

I had considered the “Reset session count on next day opened” but having a midnight deadline means there’s no artificial self-imposed incentive for me to stay up later than midnight. If I’m inspired I can keep going (and get a head start on the next day) but if I’m banging my head against the keyboard trying to meet my daily word count target and it’s just not happening midnight ought to signal that it’s time to go to bed and try again with a fresh head the next day.

Please, don’t stay up late writing to test this! Let me do that for you. I’ll be paying closer attention and if I can find a pattern (like seeing that it happens at the same time) I’ll let you know.

That shouldn’t be a factor. The timestamp is stored in the project meta-data itself, it does not rely upon the filesystem for this check, so the only variable that can mess it up is if your system clock is wrong at the time of it being set, or the time of being checked.

And yes I would agree that Dropbox is better than VPN unless you are in need of greater security, just because of the latency issue with VPN.

So yes, let me know if you can pin down an exact pattern. I wouldn’t actually need to sit up for three hours in the middle of the night to test it. I could simulate the effects by messing with the system clock while testing, but natural results will provide a better result and wreak less havock on any other programs that are tracking time.

Security? Heck.

I don’t flatter (and/or fool) myself to think that anyone out there wants to steal my 1%-finished first draft of a sci-fi novel. I’ll probably have trouble finding someone who isn’t a blood relation willing to read it for free when I’m done. :slight_smile: