how long should it take a project to convert from 1.5 to 2.x

I have an admittedly HUGE project: 33.4 megs. Converting it from 1.5 to 2.x seems to be taking forever, though. It’s backed up comparing the size of the files in the Finder, but the progress bar says it’s still backing up and the conversion hasn’t even started yet. It’s been about 15 minutes.

Hi,

Do you really mean 33 MB and not gigabytes (gigabytes would be huge)? If it really is only 33.4 MB, then that’s actually quite small and the update should only take a minute. It sounds as though an error has occurred somewhere. Could you please zip up the project and send it to support AT literatureandlatte DOT com, marking the subject line “Attn. Keith”? I’ll take a look at it and see what is causing the problem.

Thanks!

All the best,
Keith

If it’s really 33GB, then yes that will take ages, and you will want to ensure you have plenty of disk space free. Stage one of upgrading is completely duplicating the old project for safety. This means, at minimum, you’ll need 33GB for the file—which means your disk should have at least 50–60GB free in order to have a good buffer space for swap files and such. I’ve never even tried anything remotely this huge, but expect it to take all night. I’d set it up before you go to bed or something and make sure you computer’s Energy Settings do not shut off the computer automatically.

After it loads: Immediately visit the File/Back Up/ sub-menu and exclude this project from automatic backups!

Alternatively, you could try to trim it down a bit before updating. :slight_smile: With a project that big it’s probably impossible to back it up consistently, and that’s a rather risky way to work.

Nope, it’s 33.4 Megs with an “M.” I’m old; that still sounds big to me! :smiley: OK, I’ll pack it up and send it along, because it still won’t convert.

What I did (and tell me if this is the wrong thing to have done):

I imported the project into a new Scrivener file. This seems to have worked.

That’s not a bad way to handle it. You will lose Scrivener links doing that, which is the only real drawback. So if you have invested a lot of time cross-wiring your documents, you might want to keep at getting the other one to properly update.

Nope, I never use Scrivener links; just hadn’t found a use for 'em, and now I’m glad! :smiley: Thank you!

If you could still send us the original 1.54 project, I’d really appreciate it, because it will help me prevent other users from experiencing this bug. There’s clearly a bug here, but I won’t be able to fix it until I can see it.

Thanks!
Keith