How to add symbols and smiley faces on Scrivener?

We are publishing a young writer. Her characters exchange WhatsApp messages with smiley faces, shocked faces etc. :open_mouth: :slight_smile: :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue:

Symbols are easy to add in Word, but I haven’t found a way to add symbols in the text on Scrivener.

Any idea?

Can’t you use the standard Mac dialogue box for this? On Sierra it’s on Edit > Emoji & Symbols (the wording may be slightly different on previous versions, but the feature’s been there for a few years.) Shortcut is usually Ctl-cmd-, unless you’ve remapped it.

We tried but it only works when we compile to PDF. When we compile to Kindle.mobi they disappear. Am I missing something?

This is a Kindle issue, not a Scrivener issue: the Kindle doesn’t have the necessary font to display those characters.

Unfortunately, for copyright reasons Scrivener is not capable of embedding fonts.

Katherine

Hi Katherine. Actually, we are talking about two different things.

If you write “:)” on MS Word, you’ll get a font smile like this: :smiling_face:
This is a font, not an image. So Kindle accepts it.

The same happens for other symbols like :neutral_face: or :frowning:
They are not images. They are fonts (i.e. Wingdings etc) so Kindle, Apple etc accept them

I can’t find any “add a symbol” features in Scrivener
From your reply, I guess that you don’t have one
So we need to open MS word, write the symbol, copy it and paste to Scrivener

I am writing this detailed explanation to save hours and a headache to future writers :slight_smile:

Edit -> Emoji & Symbols is the Mac Scrivener command. It uses the Apple system for all special characters, including emojis.

If the resulting character appears correctly in a PDF or Word file, but not a Kindle file, then the issue is that the Kindle device does not have access to the glyph that it needs.

I’m not sure where you’re getting the notion that I was talking about images.

Katherine