How to change ' single quotation speech mark to curve in after using dash - niggly annoying thing pls help!

Hello friends, writers, coders,

Something really annoying I’ve noticed is that when I write the speech of someone that ends in a dash, the single quotation speech mark which I use to write speech in ’ (this thing here) always curves outwards not inwards.

So after writing a huge amount of dialogue between two people fighting or whatever, you can imagine how tiresome it gets that every time I have to change it. Here is an example:

‘I think there’s a spot up ahead that you can park in -‘ (this is what keeps happening)

‘I think there’s like a spot up ahead that you can park in -’ (this is what I want to happen automatically)

Does anyone know how to change this to make the speech mark automatically curve inward?

1 Like

Welcome to the forum!

Not to quibble with your choice of punctuation, what happens when you end the sentence with a full stop (period), or say a double-hyphen (which normally means (and can be converted by a setting somewhere deep in Scrivener) the dash punctuation character.

The algorithm for changing direction of single quotation marks might depend on having different punctuation or something. I’ve never seen hyphens ending a sentence, even in a quotation.

Well the thing is you see is that I’m British and in this here parts we use single quotation marks (I tried posting some links but this forum won’t let me). But if you Google it it’s common practice here in the UK.

Example for University of Nevada page:

British vs. American English

There are many differences between British and American punctuation, spelling, and grammar. Neither version is more correct than the other; which version you should use just depends on who your primary audience is. Here are some of the most common differences between British and American academic English.

Punctuation

Single vs. Double Quotation Marks

British English uses single quotation marks to indicate quotations or dialogue.

• The UWSC says, ‘This is how British people do it.’

When there is a quotation inside the quotation, British English uses double quotation marks for the nested quotation.

• The UWSC says, ‘This is how British people, as they say, “do it”.’

American English flips that method, and uses double quotation marks to indicate quotations or dialogue, and single quotation marks for nested quotations.

• The UWSC says, “This is how American people, as they say, ‘do it.’”

And another reference here:

Quotation marks, also called ‘inverted commas’, are of two types: single and double. British practice is normally to enclose quoted matter between single quotation marks, and to use double quotation marks for a quotation within a quotation:

‘Have you any idea’, he said, ‘what “dillygrout” is?’

I don’t think I said anything about single vs. double quotes … And I do know a little bit about the British version of English. That not at all the issue; should you wish to make it the issue, best to discuss elsewhere.

I use TextExpander snippets to prevent this occurring, or you can do a project replace to correct it afterward.

I’m American and I use spaces around em-dashes (API style), so I sometimes end sentences with – ” where the second space is non-breaking. The shortcut is ;-. You’d modify that advice for single quotes & no spaces, but you get the idea.

That’s only one way TextExpander saves me tons of time. You’re on Windows, not Mac like me, so google “TextExpander alternatives” if necessary.

1 Like

This is a known bug in V3 (It worked fine in V1 for Windows). It does the same with double quote marks and em dashes too.

Previous threads about it here: Windows Scriv 3 Typography: Quotation after an em-dash becomes an open quote

Support suggested using a substitution as a workaround, using the corrections section in Options.

1 Like