How to create aliases / replicants?

So, I’ve got a set of folders and documents within a Scrivner project, and I’d like to replicate – NOT duplicate (if possible) – a certain set of these documents elsewhere, i.e., into other other folders within the binder. (DEVONthink Pro uses replicants in this way, though I suppose these can be also be considered aliases.)

At first, I thought I could accomplish this by using collections in some way, but that doesn’t seem to work. So, is there another way to accomplish this? Through saving certain documents as a template? Or something else?

Thanks!

Include tags (examples below) allow users to replicate documents to multiple places, but only during compile.

<$include:/Users/username/Desktop/textsample.txt>

<$include:/Users/username/Desktop/rtfsample.rtf>

literatureandlatte.com/foru … 87#p267187

Not suitable for your needs?

Thanks for your reply!
Not sure I follow how Tags would work in this context.
To back up a sec… I’ve created documents via Scrivner that I’d like to use as replicants/aliases elsewhere – that is, in other other folders within the same Scrivner project.
So, would Tags work for those purposes? If so, how?
Thanks!

If the documents are within Scrivener, then you have two options. The first is to use the name of the other document in the binder in your $include tag, like this:

<$include:A Modern Major General>

If you change that name, or use it anywhere else in the binder, it can return the wrong (or no) text, so be sure you’re using unique names, and that they’re spelled (and capitalized?) correctly.

The other option is to insert <$include> in a text file, and then select all of it and create a link to the other document. This has the advantage of not relying on the names of documents in the binder, and you can click on it to open the source document for viewing or editing. The down-side is that seeing a series of “<$include> <$include>” tags formatted as Scrivener links doesn’t visually tell you what document(s) they’re linked to.

Thank you for your reply. I confess I’m a bit lost, but I am trying to figure out what you’re suggesting…

Quickly, I’m using Scrivner version 2.8.

Will I able to do what you’re suggesting within that version?

Also, another question… I’m actually trying to create aliases / replicant files for 3 documents. If possible, I’d prefer NOT to merge them into one contagious document, but keep them grouped in the same folder. I realize this might complicate matters…

Sure wish there was a way to easily replicate documents with Scrivner. Seems like it’s a much more involved process than I had imagined.

Thanks for your help…

Oh, sorry… I don’t think that’s a feature of version 2. You’d have to upgrade to version 3 to get the <$include> tags functionality, if I recall correctly.

The <$include> placeholder tag is the only way I know how to do what you’re after.

Damn it. That sucks.

I can’t upgrade to 3 right now since I’m unable to update my Mac OS.

So there’s no other solution to this??

Not that I’m aware of, unless the text you want to include is fairly short in length. If it is, then you can use the “Replacements” compile settings. Write your text in a document somewhere for easier editing and reading, then copy it and paste in to the “with” field of a replacement. In the “replace” column, put something that won’t occur in your text (you could, for instance, use the <$include:SomeTextHere> syntax if you wanted, to mimic S3’s functionallity somewhat). Whenever you want to update that text, you’ll edit the document in your project, then copy and replace that text in the Replacements pane of your compile settings.

Then in your text, wherever you want to repeat your writing, put the “replace” string of characters, whatever you decided upon, in your document(s).

I don’t know how much text the Replacements rows can store, so this may or may not work for you. Also, that text is not “rich”, and so will be formatted as dictated by the surrounding text in the same document, or by the overridden text formatting in your compile settings.

Hint: Use the “Project Replacements” tab within the Replacements pane of the compile window. Those replacements will survive anything that you do with your compile settings, including if you later choose to try a different “Format as:” setting, which replaces whatever’s in the “Preset Replacements” tab.

Sadly, these are three fairly large Srivner documents, so I don’t think it’ll work. But thanks for the suggestion.

So, I’d have to upgrade to V3 to make a kind of hack-solution with Tags work. Like I said, I’m unable to get the upgrade for a while – until I get another computer.

In lieu of that, are there any more solutions?

Thanks again for your help.

Sure wish Scrivner would include replicants / aliases in the future.

To be clear, the Scrivener 3 <$include:Document Name From Binder> syntax is Keith’s solution to requests like yours.

There is also the “import as alias” feature that might let you import the same external-to-Scrivener document more than once. Or you could trick it with multiple Unix-style hard links (with different names) to the same document. I haven’t researched if imported aliases can be used in the compile process though (probably not).

Understood. Thanks so much for your help… Really appreciate it.