How to enter "document mode"

When I cut off scrivenings mode it blanks out. It shows only one document that is blank.

I can write in that, but I can’t click any of the other subdocuments.

Also I can’t determine what my activation key is so I am afraid to reinstall. I think this is a terribly burned out corrupted version.

The support forum refuses to send me an email to verify the account for the support forum.

What may be happening, if you are toggling Scrivenings mode off, is that you would then be viewing the group item itself in the editor. For example if this is a folder and it comes up empty, once you start typing you should see a little page badge added to the icon, which is your clue that the folder itself contains text.

I can write in that, but I can’t click any of the other subdocuments.

I’m not following that description, or what it is you are attempting to do. If you turn off Scrivenings then what you’re left with is a normal text editor. There will be no way to access subdocuments from that view itself. Maybe try turning Outliner or Corkboard view on, to see them.

On the email matter, I’d check the spam folder to see if it ended up there. I’m showing no errors or bounces to your address. The system shows three successful deliveries (the one you referred to, and as well two notifications for a thread you’re watching).

I need to know exactly what is going on, where I am in the novel.

To that end the up arrow needs to take me to the beginning of a given subdocument and stop. The down arrow should take me to the end of that subdocument and stop. Same for the scrolling.

The only way to get to another subdocument should be to click that subdocument.

That’s how it worked for over a year,

Now it looks like the chapters are scattered in random order without rhyme or reason. It might not be, but I can’t tell where I am. It would take a day to examine this chapter by chapter scrolling a paragraph at a time through over 20 chapters,

Update:
Got it reinstalled with a free upgrade to version 3.

Definitely scrambled.

I scroll back from chapter four into the end of chapter 9. So I move chapter 4 into its proper slot and then scroll up through the text editor to see the end of chapter 9, when chapter 4 should be now right after chapter 3.

Thank you for your patience with me, When freeware works ten times better, and I feel like eight months of work are going down the drain, it gets a bit disorienting. Also I’m not sure about the difference between vehemence and clarity so I hope this was clear and still polite.

To that end the up arrow needs to take me to the beginning of a given subdocument and stop. The down arrow should take me to the end of that subdocument and stop. Same for the scrolling.

I take it you mean the up and down arrow buttons in the header bar (or the associated shortcuts). If so, navigation within the text you are editing should be done with the Ctrl+Home and Ctrl+End keys. The arrow buttons are for navigating from one section to another, rather than within them.

Additionally, the PgUp and PgDn keys should advance by a little less than one screen of text, rather than paragraph by paragraph.1 I think you may be referring to clicking in the scrollbar? You can also just click and drag the handle to scroll way faster.

I’m not sure what is referenced by this behaviour as being different from “freeware” though. That’s all pretty standard.

Now it looks like the chapters are scattered in random order without rhyme or reason. It might not be, but I can’t tell where I am. It would take a day to examine this chapter by chapter scrolling a paragraph at a time through over 20 chapters,

Although it is possible to deliberately do that (with a custom Collection that has had items moved out of order from the binder, and loading that collection into the main editor as a Scrivenings session), as you can see it would take a bit of setup to get to that point.

What I would try doing is clicking on the Draft folder and turning on Scrivenings if necessary. That should always display the contents of the draft folder in a linear, definitive order. There actually is no way for it be anything other than that, if you follow those steps.

1) There is currently a bug that causes page scrolling to go a bit beyond one screen of text.