how to find large files

I am having an extensive project in which I also included PowerPoint presentations and some measurement data. As the project grew bigger I feel that doing backups (autosave to dropbox) is a little cumbersome. No wonder as my Scrivener project is several hundred MBs large, so the plan is to remove some large data from the project.

My problem is that I cannot find the large files in the extensive tree structure that I have in scrivener. I can find the files if I open the .scriv file in the Finder and navigate to Files/Docs but of course I did not remove the files there.

Any hint (except going through all folders in Scrivener) to identify or find the large files. A filename search did not show anything. Thanks for your help.

Create a copy of the .scrivx file in the main project folder OUTSIDE of the .scriv project folder. Open it in Text Edit and search for
BinderItem ID=“36”
… where you replace 36 with the number of the file you want to remove. For instance, if you found a big file named 102.pdf, then search for
BinderItem ID=“102”

Within that XML structure, you’ll find the name used in the binder for that numbered file, on the very next line actually, set between HTML-like tags. Find the files (note that they don’t have to be unique in a project; all of your files could be titled ‘FILE’ in the binder if you really wanted to do it that way).

As a follow-up to that, you can go about using a large amount of research material once you’ve extracted the large stuff, too. First, after having done the detective work described above, in Scrivener use the File/Export/Files… command on the large items to get them out of the Binder. Store them all in a convenient location—perhaps a folder beside the project—and then use File/Import/Research Files as Aliases… to bring them back into the Binder without actually importing them. They will just be references back to the main file outside of Scrivener, but will act like a fully imported file in every other way.

The only limitation with this method is that it only supports those types of non-text files that can be displayed in the editor without Quick Look, so that rules out PowerPoint files. It’s a good technique for PDFs and multimedia, though.

Works nicely, thanks both of you for your help. I could quickly find and remove my large files (still had a copy outside of the .scriv folder).