How to import a multi-page PDF all at once

I have a multi-page PDF that I would like to include in my document without changing the pdf. The problem is that it is a multi-page pdf and it seems it is only possible to bring in individual pages, one at a time. Is there a way to bring in the entire pdf document?

Alternatives along the lines of how to bring in the content from the pdf won’t do me any good because the executed document is an exhibit and cannot be altered.

Thanks.

You can import any file — and I do mean ANY file — into Scrivener. At the Dropbox link is a video where I drag the Scrivener 1 manual into Research, and you’ll see all the pages are there.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j1aiz8w9vrk2mes/drag%20pdf.mp4?dl=0

Into Research, yes. But I need the multi-page pdf in the document.
A pdf is a “media” file in Scrivener.

This answer does not solve the problem, unfortunately.

As the message says, this is not possible.

What’s your ultimate goal? To incorporate an unedited, multipage PDF into your output document, the best solution would be to Compile to the format of your choice, then insert the document using the third-party tool of your choice.

Katherine

I have a multi-page PDF that I would like to include in my document without changing the pdf.

The goal is to include client-created pdf’s in a catalog of documents.

I could compile to pdf and just leave the client pdf’s out of it, then use something like Acrobat Pro (extremely expensive) to stitch them together. The problem is that there will be revisions, page numbers will change (so not even Bates numbers could be used via Acrobat Pro. I can’t convert the client pdf’s to doc or text files because then the files have been altered, creating evidentiary issues and requiring a witness. Your suggestion works well if it’s a question of merely adding client pdf’s to the end of the document, as an appendix, but unfortunately, these client documents have to be cunningly placed throughout the book, with no apparent logic.

If there was a tool that allowed you to place documents from different sources into a binder…wait, that sounds like Scrivener.

Is there a scrapbook tool with similar functionality? I don’t know.

A dtp program would work, and I guess that’s what I’ll probably have to go with. I don’t know if Affinity Pub. could handle this task, it might, Quark lets you import pdf’s but I’m not sure if they are converted to images or not upon pdf export. InDesign is not on the menu.

Any other tool suggestions?

It’s unfortunate that Scrivener lets you insert a single pdf file as an image but won’t work on pdf files consisting of multiple pages. And yes, there’s a LaTeX way of doing this, but LaTeX doesn’t work when people want to fiddle with the text. This document is for a world with many fiddlers.

Even a tool as simple as Preview will let you add and delete pages in an existing PDF file.

Do you want to insert the PDF in running text, or are you putting a collection of exhibits at the end? It’s probably easier to solve the pagination problem with the latter approach. You could create whatever title information you want in Scrivener, and insert whatever number of dummy pages you need. Then use your PDF editor to pull the dummy pages out and put the actual exhibit in.

Katherine

I didn’t know you could add pdf pages to a pdf using Preview. That is a helpful tip. I knew that you could remove pages.

I just tried Quark and it is possible to import multi-page pdf’s (the menu item is buried).

Could convert the PDF to images (or individual pages) and either import them or leave them in an external folder and use placeholder tags, one for / on each new page.

https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/is-it-possible-to-edit-an-image-we-put-in-our-scrivener-project/38602/3

If you want to convert a PDF to multiple images, I have an Automator-built quick action I can share. Once installed, just right click a PDF and select the quick action—a few moments later you will get a separate image for every page in the PDF. The quick action can be configured.

By all means, post or share it!
Converting pdf’s to images: what’s your tool? I have always found this difficult.

Just an Automator workflow that uses inbuilt macOS tools supplied by Apple.

The workflow is in a zip file. Unzipped and then clicked, it will offer to install in ~/Library/Services.

If you right click before installation (or if you install first and then right click the installed file in the directory above) and choose Open With > Automator (NOT Automator Installer), you can then edit the workflow, changing settings such as the colour model, format, resolution, output destination, and output naming preferences. You can even set the output to be multiple PDFs.

Once installed, just right click a PDF and choose the Quick Actions submenu and then the “PDF to JPEG” option. As you can rename the workflow to anything that you prefer, your Quick Action submenu nomenclature might be different.

Hope it helps.

Best

L

[attachment=0]PDF to JPEG.zip[/attachment]

@Lo: Can you post, or link to your Automator? I thought I had downloaded it, but I didn’t or can’t find it.