how to import a stage play started with storyist

Hi…
I did purchase scrivener some months ago.
but, at a first glance, it seemed complicated to me, specially for a non-english speaker (i’m french, i hope you will excuse my english).
Then I tried storyist, but it is for some reasons quite frustrating for me (and complicated as well!).
So i would like to use Scrivener again (i have a friend very satisfied with it!).
So i re-open it and liked some things i tried. (I appreciate for more "transparency: i like the little pieces of rtf that I can localize etc)
But i would like to import a stage play that i was working on in storyist : I would like to import it and to work on it using the formatting parameters within scrivener.
I tried to export from storyist with rtf, with txt, with Final Draft settings ; then to import the work into scrivener, but it is difficult: I manage to import the scene splittings (using the “import and split” setting), but the formatting is messy to use with the native scrivener stageplay formating settings :
it seems to keep the formating made in storyist, and ! don’t know what to do, and what is the best way to make the transfer and to achieve the job !!
thanks for the support !

EDIT:
I just noticed that scrivener seems to have imported the formatting categories or settings from storyist, i’m not sure but it seems (I find it very surprising if it is true!) (see attachments)
(I compare the original “shorcuts” before native scrivener.png and after settings from storyist.png importing the rtf scenes…)

Hi,

Try the following:

1. Export from Storyist as Final Draft .fdx format.

2. In a new project (or in your existing project), go to Format > Scriptwriting > Script Settings…

3. From the “Manage…” button at the bottom-left, choose “Load from Final Draft .fdx or .fdxt file…”.

4. When the open panel appears, select the FDX file, click “Open”, then click “OK” in the script settings panel to get rid of that.

This will tell Scrivener to use the formatting from the file, loading the various script elements.

1. Go to File > Import and Split… and load select the file again to import the actual text.

The reason you have to do this in two stages is that script formatting must be uniform for all script documents within a project, but it’s possible to import different files with slightly different formatting. So, “Script Settings” allows you to set up the formatting, and “Import” brings in the text and applies the formatting from Script Settings so that it fits in with the formatting used by other script documents in the project.

I hope that helps, and makes sense!

All the best,
Keith

Keith,
thank you very much for such a a fast help!
I tried your method, but it seems to cumulate the scrivener and the storyist pre-formatting settings
(you can see my attachments:)
cumul.png (I edited my first post with the “native” shortcuts in scrivener)

By the way the correspondences of conversion seem odd ??
convert.png

However, what I would like is to forget the old storyist formatting settings, and to begin with the scriveners ones (even if I will have to re-do some of the formatting).
With this method it seems to duplicate or add different (to much!) settings !
(i’m not sure to be comprehensible !)
But maybe it is too complicated or impossible because it recover the settings in the rtf
(I tried with the txt, but i don’t succeed, it seems that the txt exported from Storyist is not utf-8 but another stuff!!)
Anyway, thanks again…!!

Too bad that the “sample script” included in a new project is in pdf !!
Thus we can’t explore and understand the formatting settings!

Hmm, I’m not quite sure what is happening there - that doesn’t look right. I recommend starting from the US Stage Play template rather than the UK stage play template, though, because I believe the Storyist script has character names on separate lines, which is US format, rather than on the same line as the dialogue, which is UK format. You won’t be able to convert them to be on the same lines - you would have to edit that by hand if you wanted UK format.

That table is based on the order of the items, nothing else - it’s not intelligent. It leaves the intelligence to the user. The whole point of it popping up is so that you can tell it what to convert to what. Click into the items in the second column to change how things should be converted before continuing.

I’m not quite sure what you mean here - you shouldn’t be using RTF but FDX for the best results.

You can send your FDX script to mac.support AT literatureandlatte DOT com and we can take a look for you if you like, though.

? If it wasn’t in PDF format you wouldn’t be able to see how the actual script would end up, which is the whole point. The PDF sample scripts show what the templates will look like when compiled, with the current formatting settings. i.e. Start typing, compile, and that’s how they will look. Read the info document at the top of each template for information.

All the best,
Keith

Hi Keith, thanks again (excuse my delay) for your post.
It doesn’t really work. I guess it is impossible to make scrivener totaly forget the previous formatting and restarts again from its own, and that is why it is impossible or almost.
Ok for the columns, but they behave very oddly, changing things everytime.
And especially I don’t understand why the left column (scrivener formatting) converts to, in the right column, the fdx from storyist : i would like to do the reverse !! (to convert the st. ones to the scriv. ones)
I tried to import a plaintext version and re-do all the formattings into scrivener, but I didn’t succeed…
Frustrating… I guess I will have to finish this project in storyist and restart in scrivener with my next writing project! :-/