How to Justify Footnotes

Hello everybody from Italy. :wink:

I’m just trying Scrivener and I’ve been finding it simply great so far.
However I cannot figure out how to justify footnotes once I go for draft compiling.
How can I get footnotes as justified as the main text is?

Thank you, mates. :smiley:

Hi,
I’m afraid justified footnotes aren’t supported at the moment - footnote support is very basic as I had to pretty much hack a way into the standard Apple RTF exporter to provide them at all. However, to be honest I hadn’t realised that this limitation was there (that they couldn’t be be justified), and now I notice that the line spacing will always be single, too. For now, the only way around it is to fix them up when exported to a dedicated word processor. I have added it to my list to look at for the next update, though, so I’ll see if there is a way can be fixed. I hope so, but I can’t promise anything on this one simply because providing footnote export at all is a massive headache. (It shouldn’t be, I know, given that they are standard in RTF, but as I said in another thread, they just aren’t supported by the standard Apple exporters which I rely on - I don’t have the resources or time to write my own dedicated importer/exporter, unfortunately!).
All the best,
Keith

Hi! I bought scrivener a few months back, but only recently have I really started using it. Are we now able to justify footnotes? If so, I can’t find a way to do it. I tried doing it through compile > format, then checking the boxes for “notes,” and then justifying the text in the window. But that didn’t work. All I got was an additional subtitle “Text” stuck between every subtitle and body of text. Weird! Can anyone explain why this happens? I’m not much of a techie, and I’m still very much learning my way around the ole scrivna.

Anyway, to my main question: is there a way yet to justify footnote text? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Hi,

No, there isn’t at the moment, but I will take a look at this for 2.0.6 and see what I can do.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

Here’s a minor related comment. It seems you can change the font and point size of footnotes in the Inspector, but not the line spacing or indents (not tabs, margin indents).

Why would it even matter? Because—although I know it just saves a couple of steps—sometimes the quickest way to print out a section or chapter is just copy the whole thing, paste it into a Word file, and print. Comes out just fine, footnotes and all. 'Cept line-spacing and indents of those footnotes can’t be changed (if you’ve done a lot of cutting and pasting from different places to create them). Ideally, you could just have a footnotes preset. But I have the feeling both of these fixes would be unnecessarily difficult to program?

David

Having line spacing in the inspector footnotes would make them take up an awful lot of room, and yes, it would be an issue to program in terms of keeping things simple. Also, copying-and-pasting works but it isn’t the primary way of getting your work out - if you copy and paste you’ll definitely have to do some more work. Compile handles all the line spacing though.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith