How to keep horizontal split windows synced with each other.

I use the split horizontal window for translating and need to sync the two windows so that when I scroll down in one of the windows, the other one will scroll down as well. Is this possible to do? Thanks for the help. I do appreciate it.

All the best,
Ed

I hope I explained my question clearly. All I need to know is if it’s possible to have both documents scroll together in sync. I haven’t been able to find any option for that, but just thought to ask here. Thanks for the help.

Ed

Perfectly clear. I don’t believe it’s possible. Wish it were!

Thank you DavidR for your answer. All the very best to you and yours.

There are a couple of regulars on the forum who do translation work (maybe just one?). I’ve seen them advise other people on how to organize translation text. One thing they seem to like doing is to break the text into 1 document per paragraph. I’ve seen it discussed where the document to contain the translation would then be indented beneath the source text, kind of like this:

english para1
-french para 1
english para 2
-french para 2

… and so-on. This has the advantage of being able to click on the English document and view it and its corresponding French document in Scrivenings mode. Being only a paragraph long, you’d be able to see the source while working on the translation, plus use the other split editor for other purposes. During compile, you could simply turn off all the check-marks in the “Formatting” pane for the icons that look like paper stacks (the English paragraph documents in the example above), and so produce the translated document without the source text.

This allows you to set “Status” values on each paragraph document that indicate if you need to do further work on a paragraph, helping you keep track of your progress through the translation.

The only tricky bit would be how to handle section or chapter breaks, but that depends on the complexity of your document, I suppose.

Sorry if this isn’t very useful (translation work is way outside my wheelhouse). If you post a question that includes “translation” in the subject, maybe folks with actual experience in the field will chime in with useful tidbits in how to use Scrivener for your work.

Good luck!

As one of those Robert was referring to — though I have to say I collaborate with a Chinese friend, given that we’re working in Chinese —> English, so my rôle is more as an editor rather than translator, but we share some projects via Cubby, so the set up ends up the same — here is the solution I have finally come to:

  1. Vertical split editors; left editor translation, right editor source text. Binder and inspector open showing comments (or footnotes) … this layout works perfectly well on my late 2010 13" MacBook Air;
  2. As we’re normally working on documents only a few pages long — like the one the screenshots come from — she usually translates paragraph by paragraph in Word interleaving source and target texts, though keeping headings with the paragraph that follows immediately. When I get her file and import it into Scrivener, the first job is to split it up into its constituent parts, each as a separate document including headings as separate binder documents.
  3. These are alternated in the binder, Chinese source followed by English translation. I use labels, with blue for Chinese and pink for English, so that I can give each document a name in English, but by marking the icon in the binder appropriately can immediately distinguish the content language of each;
  4. The point of this is that by selecting the holding folder, the whole thing can be displayed interleaved and compiled like that as the client usually wants

    or by using Project Search for labels, the English version can be viewed or compiled as a continuum to check for stylistic consistency.

We did translate a short story, for which we shared a Scrivener project. Eventually, I realised that it would be best to split it up by paragraphs, which I did right at the end to create an archive version. It was actually that that made me realise how splitting things up and using labels and project search was a much better idea rather than working in a single long text document. If we ever work on a book — I have been presented with the possibility of translating a series of Chinese cookbooks published just after the end of the Cultural Revolution in 1979, but whether my friend will want to collaborate on that, and there are technical difficulties, I haven’t yet asked — each chapter will be a folder, with its text split up within it.

Anyway, I have found the way to go is splitting things into paragraph length sections interleaved in the binder, with translation in one editor and source in the other, and using labels and Project Search where necessary. Scrivenings view is important. And Snapshots is an absolutely essential tool for translators.

Mr X