How to Link files using Netword Drive name

I’m trying to link a file using its network drive name rather than its drive letter, but cannot get it to work. Not all PCs on my large network have the same drive letter assigned to the same network drive, so I need to avoid using just the letter. Does Scrivener handle network drive w/ subfolder names, or just drive letters? If it handles network names what is the correct syntax for linking a file in that way?

I just added an external document reference, but it was a bit tricky. The format seems to be:

file:\sharename\path\filename

I tried just putting in \sharename\path\filename, but scrivener added the file: designator and reversed all the slashes, like a web URL’s. Once I edited it to correct the slashes, it now opens the file.

I wonder if that’s a bug, since Scrivener recognized that it was a file address and not a web address, but still replaced the back-slashes with forward slashes?

I cannot seem to make that work at all in Windows version. It doesn’t change the slash direction for me, which I guess is good, but it doesn’t open the file, which I know is not good.

Odd. I made it work on Windows 7. My actual file URL looks like this (corporate, internal file shares):

file:\ccfs1\departments\support\r9.txt

When I double-click on the link’s icon in the Document References pane, it opens the file.

In Notepad, if you go to File->Open and paste your file url into the filename box, it should open your document (if it’s a .txt file). I would think a similar test would work with .doc files in Word.

Now I see what you are referring to, the Document Reference. I am able to add a network named file path there. Where I cannot add a network named path is when setting up a hyper-Link within the text of a document. Letter drives works for these links within the text of a document, but I cannot get the network drive names to work there.

Until I figure out how to do this I may have to use the Document Reference instead of a hyperlink within the document itself. Bummer.

How are you doing the hyperlink in the text? I just tested this and it’s working fine for me, but you’ll need to use the “No prefix” option and insert the file:\\ yourself before the volume name.

I was unsuccessfully using the “file” option with “\sharename\path\filename”. Now I see that by using the “No prefix” option and typing “file:\sharename\path\filename” it works perfectly. Thank you all for ‘xplainin’ this to me.