How to MOVE text to the Binder?

Scrivener for MacOS has an awesome feature: select text in a document, click and drag it over to the Binder, and wherever you drop it, Scrivener creates a brand-new document with just that text. Beautiful.

But is there a way to do this as a MOVE rather than a copy?

When I’ve completed the operation and I go back to the source document, the text is still there. It is now highlighted in grey. It won’t delete or cut without an additional operation (reselect, etc.).

I would love it if there was a key combination for the original drag operation such that the text would be CUT from the source and gone when I return to the source document (so that the operation was treated as a move not a copy).

Failing that, what’s up with the text being highlighted in grey when I return to the source document? As if the operation left it in some kind of state of limbo. It’s not technically still selected after the operation; hitting Del or Backspace or Command-X doesn’t delete it.

Thanks for any help.

Have you looked at the Documents -> Split command?

The reason for doing a Copy is to reduce the risk of data loss in case the Paste operation into the new document fails. The Split command is a bit safer because the material is never “in limbo” on the clipboard.

Katherine

No-one should ever be without a clipboard manager! One of the most useful types of software I ever bought.

Funny you should mention Split. Right after starting this thread, I switched over to Split. That’s when I noticed that if you hold down Command (or is it Alt?) when doing a drag-and-drop, you get a little plus sign beside the cursor, notifying you that it’s a copy. But without any additional key invoked during the drag-and-drop, one would assume it would be a move—but it isn’t.

What’s worse, however, is that I’ve discovered that a drag-and-drop, under certain conditions that I cannot pinpoint, does function as a move. Which is exactly what I want. But I can’t get it to work every time. Which implies that there’s either a bug, or I’m using my trackpad wrong.

When you initiate the drag, Scrivener doesn’t know where your eventual destination will be. If you drag text within the same document, you’ll get a move. If you Alt-drag text within the same document, you’ll get a copy.

Katherine

Scrivener could be as powerful as Windows (that’s a joke, btw—Mac users will understand) if L&L would code “Shift+Drag” to be a move operation, just as it is in Windows Explorer. I refuse to accept the premise that Scrivener users are so dumb that they can’t differentiate between Copy vs Move when they are (could/should be) tied to two completely different keyboard actions.

I’m annoyed because I really need this feature today and it takes 10x the amount of keystrokes to do it the manual way because of there being no drag operation available for moving text out of a chapter to a new binder chapter.

Split is absolutely not an option. I have a chapter that’s 2000 words long, I need to chunk out seven paragraphs from the middle of it to the binder and then rearrange them using the Scrivenings feature, and split bifurcates my original 2000-word chapter at the cursor point into two huge chunks.

It’s doubly annoying because there’s actually an option for Split to use as a title part of the selected text, when the better design option would be if Spit, when activated on a block of text being selected, split that block off (straight out of) from the document into the binder.

The idea here is that one keeps going rather than stopping at one split. Let’s say you’ve identified this problematic area in the middle of a 2k file—I’ll keep the example simplified to four paragraphs for the sake of screenshot size:

So to start working with these four paragraphs, one places their cursor at the start of the range (the blue paragraph) and hits Cmd-K, resulting in the below:

As you note, the original file is now split into two large chunks, but that’s just because we haven’t finished the job yet. You’ll note the next paragraph we need to split by is right below the first, highlighted in mustard yellow. With your left hand still ready to fire off Cmd-K, click at the start of that paragraph, press the shortcut, then click on the next and the next in rapid order, finally splitting off the last chunk (the non-highlighted paragraph starting in “Ju ti erk…”, above).

We should have, at this point in our example, six files: the bookends that are the rest of the chapter we aren’t worried about reorganising, and the four paragraph files in the middle we’re interested in working with. There are probably dozens of ways to approach the next part, depending on why one needed four paragraph-length files to work with—we’re mainly interested in the mechanics of getting there and then getting back to a 2k file—but here’s one approach:

[size=80]Using Scrivenings to view a slight shuffle of the original order; note how the automatically numbered split-off sections serve as a useful reference of where things were at the start?[/size]

All right, with the new flow of text in place, one now selects all six files in the binder, starting with the original file we broke off from, and ending with the other bookend file that contains the rest of the chapter following this section. We hit Shift-Cmd-M to run the Merge command:

And we’re done. Note the two non-highlighted chapters are precisely where we left them in the first screenshot. All that has changed with the file is what we wanted to change, the middle part.

As an aside, how have you been doing this? If I lock the editor and drag text out into the binder following each drag with the delete key which I can keep my finger perched on as I drag, then I’m done, right? There is nothing else you are asking for—just to put some text somewhere and have it removed from the source—that’s one key, thus technically identical to your request of being able to press one key and hold it (shift), only different in how and when you press that one key.

Either way though, the approach you describe does not accomplish the task with the same amount of ease, even if you could hypothetically press the Shift key for drag vs pressing the delete key after each drag—your process would have left a narrative gap in the original file and no way to somehow glue the reordered files back into that gap (which hopefully you carefully marked so you can easily find it again!). The closest you could come is merging the four files and then copying and pasting that result back into the original file and then going back to the binder and trashing the merged copy you no longer need. What a mess! :wink:

I am having the opposite problem in S3.0.1 whereby dragging text to the binder cuts the text from the original document, even if I hold the option key as I drag (and have ‘Option-dragging creates duplicates’ in preferences). Is there a way to force a copy when dragging and dropping text from a document into the binder (as a new document)? I don’t want to split because I want to use the original untouched.

Also I have the opposite behaviour from what the OP describes. Is there a difference between v.2 and v.3? When I drag a highlighted paragraph to the binder it is MOVED, not copied. If that’s not what I wanted , I’ve found that the quickest remedy is to press Cmd-Z. That way I get to keep the extracted snippet in the Binder, while leaving the original document intact.

This behaviour did indeed change in 3.0. In 3.0, when you drag text out of the editor and drop it somewhere else, it is moved rather than copied (this was a frequent request).

Makes sense. And, as I said, if you want the text to remain, a quick Cmd-Z after dragging fixes it.

I would like though to move text to the existing chapter or folder (to its end) in the binder just by using drag-and-drop, without the creation of a subchapter or subfolder.
That would be an extremely helpful feature for me since I have a couple 500-page of free writing texts that I am trying to organize paragraph by paragraph.
Is there this possibility?
Thanks for any help.

Use Split to make them separate documents, then you can easily move them. That’s the way Scrivener is designed to work.

Thank you for your reply. The problem is that you create a subchapter or subfolder everytime you split. My intention is to group all selected paragraphs, gradually, under one heading, and then go to the next ones, and group the under another heading (subchapter/subfolder). Imagine doing that for hundreds of pages. It does not make any sense to transform them in independent subchapters/subfolders.

And by the way the “move text”, using drag and drop in split view, is not working either in version 2.9. It is making a copy of the selected text. You have to go back to the original highlighted text to delete it. That gives too much work. Imagine doing that in hundreds of pages. It is counter-intuitive. I really do not understand the rationale. Please help!

Since you’re talking about v. 2.9 for Windows, the latter paragraph should really be posted in the Windows Beta Testing forum, where there may already be a thread on that.

This is the only thread I found about the issue of “moving text to the binder”. Since the Windows version aspires to be like the Mac version, your experience with the more established Mac version
of the program could be of help. It is intriguing that what looks to me as such an essential feature is not present, from what I understand, in neither one of the versions and is not, apparently, object of great concern by the users of the software. If only the Mac variant had this feature, I would probably consider buying a computer based in this plataform.

This is the only thread I found about the issue of “moving text to the binder”. Since the Windows version aspires to be like the Mac version, your experience with the more established Mac version
of the program could be of help. It is intriguing that what looks to me as such an essential feature is not present, from what I understand, in neither one of the versions and is not, apparently, object of great concern by the users of the software. If only the Mac variant had this feature, I would probably consider buying a computer based in this platform.